We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook 2000 and Windows 7

SURVEY
Resolved

Likes # 0

Migrating froma XP computer to a Windows 7 laptop. Saved my Outlook 2000 data's .pst file and copied it to the laptop. Loaded Outlook 2000 to the laptop. Outlook screen does load and tried to import the .pst file but however I do this I am told that the WAB.dll fle is missing. I only use Outlook for contacts and calendar and not as my email client. I appreciate that Outlook 2000 may not be compatible with Windows 7 but would copying over the WAB file to somewhere(?) on the laptop enable all to work? If necessary, I am quite happy to buy an up to date version of Outlook but do not want to do so until I know that it will successfully import my .pst file.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As you have discovered Outlook 2000 doesn't work well, if at all, with Windows 7. If you used it for e-mail then you would find it didn't remember the password and other problems. WAB was associated with Outlook Express which isn't available for Windows 7 so copying that file over will not work.

You could investigate exporting your contacts as a csv file and then importing into Windows Contacts on the laptop. You may lose some formatting.

Exporting the calendar to Windows Calendar may be more difficult.

Don't see why newer versions should not be able to import the old pst files but seems an expensive fix.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I think you just need to get all the service packs for office up to date SP3 is the latest

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

BTW you could consider not using Outlook at all but Google calendar and contacts. You should be able to export to Google calendar and get it to import/sync with windows calendar.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Hi Woolwell - I do use google to some extent but Outlook used to have a nice interface and seemed professional. I have never used Outlook as an email client and maybe that is the way to go to get away from WLM which looks a mess on screen.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The latest Outlook has a very different interface to Outlook 200O so make sure that you will like it before buying.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 1

I have Office2000 working except for Outlook.

I spent quite a while Googling the problems and gave up in the end.

Password problem as mentioned.

Only one IMAP account at a time would sort of work.

Two WAB .dlls were missing for the address book. (I did find downloads for them online somewhere and stuck them in system32 or wherever they were supposed to go)

In the end, Mozilla Thunderbird to the rescue and very happy I have been with it.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

robinofloxley - I would live with WLM but maybe will look at Thunderbird, especially if its layout and simplicity is akin to Outlook Express. My main concern now is to preserve my old Outlook contacts/addresses which ater in a saved .pst file in order to ensure that at some time I will be able to import these to a useful program!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 1

Calendars in Thunderbird are Add-on/Extensions

I use Reminderfox in Firefox so can't advise further.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

Export your contacts to a csv file which many programs will accept whereas they will not accept pst. Have a look at what you can export your calendar as, perhaps ical. pst only really works with Outlook.

I use Outlook on my desktop and Thunderbird with the calendar extension on my laptop. I sync the laptop, ipad and smartphone through Google.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

I have some important contacts held in my outlook 2000 .pst file, that I reckon I shall have to buy the latest Outlook for the contacts section and maybe calendar alone. I could then investigate whetehr to change from Windows Live to Outlook as my mail client.

I assume that the latest Windows 7 Outlook will easily import my .pst file? Anyone done this?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room