We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems with my NVIDIA Graphics Card

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7

Hi guys,

As it say's on the lid, I'm having 'Problems with my NVIDIA Graphics Card'. This has only started happening relatively recently, it's happened 3 times NOT consecutively, randomly. It seems to be pot luck, I switch on my PC and it starts normally or I get a 'BlueScreen'. However, even if it starts normally the graphics performance is anything but normal.

My Graphics Card is an...NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 I have the latest drivers and the PC is still under guarantee. I have searched the Internet and it would seem to be a fairly common problem, which doesn't bode well for a fix? I am in a quandary as what to do next. Here are the details...

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Extra information about the problem

BCCode: 116

BCP1: 8863A008

BCP2: 91B27AD6

BCP3: 00000000

BCP4: 00000002

OS Version: 617601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Bucket ID: 0x116TdrBCR:2Tdr:2IMAGEnvlddmkm.sys

Server information: 97a0f751-1fa6-411d-bc58-0af610ee10e6

The top part of this message is bogus as it starts...

"Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" Which isn't true, as it doesn't start!

So my questions are...

1 - Does anyone have a solution that I can try or apply?

2 - Should I chase NVIDIA for a solution?

3 - Get in touch with those who built the PC? (As for this solution and bearing in mind the time of year. If they can't come up with a solution via the phone or email. Would they just send me another Graphics Card, for me to swap out and if required return the naff one. Or would they want me to return the PC?)

I don't really expect you to know the cartblanch answer to question 3 but one you you might have had a similiar thing happen.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I neither am a fan of beta's. The only reason I comtemplated it was because of the present update not working. I figured it couldn't be much worse than the BSOD. Anyway, I'll give this roll back a few days and see if I get anymore BSOD's.

If it doesn't pan out, I'll let you know.

Although this is a new PC many of the system drivers were very old, like years old! I've updated them all accept for one and that is...

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

Windows keeps telling me that it's a problem device, it's an external USB 10 port adapter and it's forever going off and on.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

And the lesson is... If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :-) I've never understood why people feel the need to keep their drivers updated. Yes, by all means, if you have a problem that you think the newer driver will solve, or if it brings new functionality you think you'll use, or if it delivers better throughput that you need - then by all means go for it. But just updating drivers fore the sake of it - I don't get it.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton

"I don't get it."

Refering to drivers, this one small sentence sums up your entire argument. In the main though I guess what you say is right and I too would concur. However, In this case I bought a new machine, then discovered it was full of old drivers. I don't think that there is a lesson to be learned in wanting everything about your new PC to be new. Otherwise I could have saved myself a lot of money, by just putting my old PC into a new case. Then to all intents and purposes everyone would think it was new, until you turned it on of course.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I have found that drivers can cause all sorts of odd problems if they are either corrupt in download (as hs happened to me - and they still install!!) or the supplier (I also use Nvidia) makes an error.

My personal preference is to wait a week or so and check out the Nvidia Forum for any adverse comments before I commit myself to an update - then even I don't update unless it offers something really worthwhile. It may be different for gamers as many updates are aimed at them.

Like this post
scubatony55

Likes # 0

Hi There People

I had a similar problem, with my NVidia GF400GS

This s now sorted, i put in a spare graphics card.

I am now looking for another card any suggestions.

I dont play games

I run XP

My board is a "ALIVE SATA2 - GLAN

It has PCI Express.

Tony

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi scubatony55

I'm assuming you're a newbe in this forum...

Just a friendly word in your ear, to put you wise on a touchy subject. You might want to start your own thread. As adding your question to one that is already running is called 'Highjacking Someone Elses Thread' and as such is somewhat frowned upon.

Like this post
scubatony55

Likes # 0

Sorry about that I will start my own thread

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow