We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems with my NVIDIA Graphics Card

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7

Hi guys,

As it say's on the lid, I'm having 'Problems with my NVIDIA Graphics Card'. This has only started happening relatively recently, it's happened 3 times NOT consecutively, randomly. It seems to be pot luck, I switch on my PC and it starts normally or I get a 'BlueScreen'. However, even if it starts normally the graphics performance is anything but normal.

My Graphics Card is an...NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 I have the latest drivers and the PC is still under guarantee. I have searched the Internet and it would seem to be a fairly common problem, which doesn't bode well for a fix? I am in a quandary as what to do next. Here are the details...

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Extra information about the problem

BCCode: 116

BCP1: 8863A008

BCP2: 91B27AD6

BCP3: 00000000

BCP4: 00000002

OS Version: 617601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Bucket ID: 0x116TdrBCR:2Tdr:2IMAGEnvlddmkm.sys

Server information: 97a0f751-1fa6-411d-bc58-0af610ee10e6

The top part of this message is bogus as it starts...

"Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" Which isn't true, as it doesn't start!

So my questions are...

1 - Does anyone have a solution that I can try or apply?

2 - Should I chase NVIDIA for a solution?

3 - Get in touch with those who built the PC? (As for this solution and bearing in mind the time of year. If they can't come up with a solution via the phone or email. Would they just send me another Graphics Card, for me to swap out and if required return the naff one. Or would they want me to return the PC?)

I don't really expect you to know the cartblanch answer to question 3 but one you you might have had a similiar thing happen.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Question 1:Is the card seated correctly,getting enough power, though you have mentioned that the problem is intermittent so unlikely to be the cause.Possible faulty graphics card if the PC is still within warranty then I would keep a note of all blue screen details and take screen-shots of the event viewer of the details held there.

Question 2:Not Nvidia's problem. But it might be worth an email detailing your problem they might come back with a solution.

Question 3: It is unlikely that the company you bought the PC from would send a replacement GPU as I am sure they would want to run their own tests and of course make sure that the problem has not been caused by mishandling etc by yourself.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Chronus

Thanx for being so quick and succinct with your response...

"Question 1:Is the card seated correctly,getting enough power,"

I've had this PC for more than 6 months and it's only just started doing this. In that time it hasn't been moved. As for the power, that could be worth considering, as I live on a farm and the power has been known to fluctuate and has even gone off entirely. However, having said that I've not noticed anything lately.

"Not Nvidia's problem. But it might be worth an email"

I will email them, if only because I've looked on the Internet and it would seem that I'm far from being the only person with this problem. Not only that but also because Windows seems to think that it's a Driver problem, this is what it says...

Address a problem with NVIDIA Graphics Driver

"NVIDIA Graphics Driver has stopped working 3 time(s), last occurring on 15/12/2011 10:03. Steps are available for addressing this problem."

However when I click for the solution, this is what it says...

"This solution could not be downloaded - Your computer was unable to download the solution at this time. Check and make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try to download the solution again later."

It never succeeds!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Plenty of reading for you but not much in the way of a solution. GPU probs.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Have you updated graphics drivers recently? If so you may have a corrupt driver, use 'Device Manager' to roll it back.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

It has to be said, it worked fine before I installed the latest driver. I did think about reinstalling the older driver. I've just been to the NVIDIA site and there is now a beta Driver update, I must say I'm tempted to give it a go. But as with reinstalling the old driver, I'm not really sure about the proceedure.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

johndrew

Hi, yes I updated the drivers in October, as the drivers I had then were 5 months old. I've just taken your advice and rolled the driver back to May. It seems ok at the moment. The thing is though everyone always says you shouldn't get your drivers from anyone other than the hardware manufacturer. Well I got my update from NVIDIA direct, so much for that.

What to do next is the thing, do I update it again to the latest NVIDIA one from NVIDIA.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I have registered with the NVIDIA forum and posted a thread on this. It will be interesting to see what they suggest, if anything!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I only ever get my graphics card driver from Nvidia or ATI depending on my GPU in my PC at the time. Its a fallacy to always update drivers as sometimes the updated driver is issued to solve a particular problem,if you are not having that problem then no need to update. I am a gamer and only update my GPU drivers if the update is useful. Never install the beta drivers though.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

You have solved it by going back to the older driver. There has been a problem with the latest Nvidia Ge Force driver. I understand Nvidia have released a beta form which corrects it but suggest you simply wait until the finalised new driver version is released,

I had exactly the same problem. Nividia should really have withdrawn the problem driver. Sometimes I do wonder if they know what is going on in the real world

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)