We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Choosing a new lap top

collinsc

Likes # 0

Hi

I currently have the following laptop: Aspire 5613AWLMi - CDT2350 1.86GHz 2x1GB 160GB VHP 15.4" ACB DVDRW SM GF 7300 256mb turbo 802.11bg 1Y wty

I'm looking for an upgrade, hopefully in the region of £400.

Can anyone recommend anything suitable. No real requirements other than must be equal to or better than the above spec!

thanks

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

This is my choice. John Lewis gives 2 year warranty. My repair shop says Toshiba parts easier to get than most.

http://www.johnlewis.com/231395883/Product.aspx

Like this post
Acx

Likes # 0

I have just got this as a present for someone. Not tested it yet, but worth a look I feel.

Brand: ASUS Screen Size (inch): 15.6 inches Memory (RAM): 3 GB Storage (hard drive): 320 GB Processor: Intel Core i5 Processor Number: I5-2430 Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium Graphics Device: Shared Graphics

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-ASUS-X53E-SX947V-Laptop/764019

£399 four different colours.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Selecting laptop is a nightmare simply because of the sheer variety of machines with similar spec,as I can testify when with my daughter in John Lewis earlier this year.

She went round and round that display, to make a selection- I stepped back to look at TV's in the end sure in the knowledge that spec for spec the buyers choice comes down too colour of the lid and the name plate -the rest comes down to processor Intel/AMD all else coming from generic suppliers supplying all assemblers and badge stickers Thats does not help make a choice- so if you are used the the quirks of Acer- that should be your focus. But yes John Lewis is the place to go

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

thanks sparkyjack - yes, i am very happy with acer. interesting - what quirks are there!? i've not noticed!

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

I guess no quirks specific to Acer in particular

In reality all computers are 'dumb'

The 'quirks come in with the operating system and the applications deployed. '

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

Hi I've seen this in currys - opinions appreciated. Looks like i can get it cheaper than the £500 in the shop, however the spec does vary, how important is the DDR3 memory? shop is 6GB, ones ive seen online for cheaper is 3GB.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/acer-aspire-5750Laptopreview

Thanks

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I leave others to comment on Acer, and stick to my original Toshiba reccomensation. The issue re RAM is dependant on how many and how complicated the programmes you run are. I have 4 Gig and use Photoshop CS5 - runs fine. Some ardent gamers would like as much as possible.Foe a "normal" user I think 4 is about right for 64 bit Windows 7.

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

Thanks john - for some reason im finding myself drawn to acer again, perhaps short sighted of me, on looking at the toshiba again it does look very good.

other opinions welcomed on the suggestion of Toshiba Satellite L750-1DR or the Acer aspire 5750.

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

hi, with regard to the Toshiba Satellite L750-1DR http://www.johnlewis.com/231395883/Product.aspx

This has an Intel Pentium processor, whereas the acer aspire has Intel® Core™ i5 - can anyone please explain what the difference is and what difference this will mean in terms of performance.

thanks

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

I guess some Techno will go into precise detail for you.

But from my point of view I ask how long does it take you to blink?

Be assured no matter how quick you are - the processor will have done its bit before your eyes are opened.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...