We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Copying from old laptop

collinsc

Likes # 0

Hi

I am considering purchasing a new laptop. I know how to copy all my word docs, pics etc i'll just use my ext HD. But, how do i:

1) Copy over i tunes? (can this be done on HD and then do i have to re-install i tunes app?)

2) i recently downloaded microsoft office 2010 via a work offer using a key. i assume i cant re-use the key, can i transfer ms2010 over (if i get a laptop without 2010).

3) there are a number of applications/programs i have on my c drive (my programs drive) that i honestly dont know what are for!!! i assume if i dont know what they are then i dont need them...

advice on above questions appreciated, and on a new laptop, budget is £400 - no other real requirements, my acer aspire 5613 has served me well, but it's perhaps time i updated.

thanks

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

See other thread re laptop advice. Copy your iTunes folder to the USB HD. Then install iTunes (programme files) on new machine, read up how to de authorise the old computer, and authorise the new one. then copy the iTunes folder into the appropriate place in the new machine. If you have an iPod touch I think you can use it to transfer data.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

See here for iTunes from Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

john, thanks for comments on posts.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1) has been covered

2) Yes ou can reinstall on the new machine you probably have a 3PC licence if not then unistall from the old one and it should be OK.

3) list the programs and we can tell you what they are for.

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

2) ok thanks. 3) i will do in due course, thanks!

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

hi i have got the toshiba.

2)"Yes ou can reinstall on the new machine you probably have a 3PC licence if not then unistall from the old one and it should be OK." - i dont think i have the code written down.. i assume it is on my Laptop somewhere? can you advise how i go about the uninstall and re-install on to the toshiba?

3) I will do this in the near future.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Use SIW (secrets ) to find the Serial number of Office then if you have the original download file install into the toshiba if not then try downloading again onto the Tosh and use the serial number to activate.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If it's the office 2010 that you can get for £8.95 through the MS home use scheme then just re-install on new machine using the original product key you got from MS when you downloaded the software.

Or redownload it again Home Use Program

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

thanks guys, ive found the product key so i'll give it a go. cheers

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

Hi On point 3, here is a list of such programmes which i do not know what they are for! kontiki bing bar installer bonjour conduit CONEXANT DIFX CyberLink Oberon media Sibelius software

thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September