We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External Hardrive Failure

Caine57

Likes # 0

I have a Maxtor Basics 500GB external hard drive nearly three years old and just noticed today that it wasn't showing up on my desktop. The light is on as normal and I can hear the drive powering up and spinning but the pc doesn't detect it. I've checked cables, used different USB sockets etc and no luck. Is the fact that I can hear the disc hopeful? I have an almost full back up on a WD Ext drive but have lost some recent documents and a bank account programme file, so not a complete disaster.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It might be just the caddy thats knackered.You could remove the hard-drive from the caddy and connect it directly to the PC either by opening up the case and using a data cable and power connector, or get yourself an USB adapter, Click here. Or try another caddy to see if you still have access to the hard-drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite