We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IS A DONGLE & AN RF ADAPTOR DIFFERENT THINGS ?

worcesterman47

Likes # 0

hi guys, looking for some clarification on an item..i recently bought an lg tv with 3d,smart view etc etc ...but there is another thing i bought called a MAGIC MOTION CONTROLLER..which makes things a lot easier for surfing the net & controlling tv etc...so, i fitted the LG AN-WF100 Wireless Wi-Fi USB Adaptor Dongle for LG TV and got web access then i pared the MAGIC MOTION REMOTE with the tv and it did not work..tried re-set and re-paring with tv changed batteries..still nothing...i emailed the company where i got the MAGIC MOTION REMOTE from and they said i would need an.. LG RF ADAPTOR.. which they had not sold me and thats why the MAGIC MOTION REMOTE was not working..my question is....is an LG RF ADAPTOR different to the ..LG AN-WF100 Wireless Wi-Fi USB Adaptor Dongle for LG TV ? many many thanks in advance

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

From a quick look a Magic motion controller is a control for the TV which makes it easier to control surfing the net, you could say its like a mouse Click here a youtube video on what it does. It does not connect the TV to the net.

If you wanted wireless connection from your TV to the net you would need a LG AN-WF100 Wireless Wi-Fi USB Adaptor Dongle for LG TV.

Like this post
worcesterman47

Likes # 0

hi , i know that the MAGIC MOTION does not connect me to the net thats what the LG AN-WF100 Wireless Wi-Fi USB Adaptor Dongle for LG TV is for. but it makes it a lot easier to surf it...as it is a point and click ,rather than using the remote that came with the tv....but to use the MAGIC MOTION REMOTE to its fullest i have to have a LG AN-WF100 Wireless Wi-Fi USB Adaptor Dongle for LG TV.... which i do have connected to my tv....my question is i seem to have bought a faulty MAGIC MOTION REMOTE...i contacted the compamy who sold me the MAGIC MOTION REMOTE and they mailed me back saying it would not work without having an RF ADAPTOR...but as i see it the adaptor is the ..LG AN-WF100 Wireless Wi-Fi USB Adaptor Dongle for LG TV. or am i missing something ? is the dongle mentioned above different to an RF ADAPTOR or are they one in the same thing but someone has called it by a different name ? many thanks again

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Just re read your thread, due to it being hard to read I missunderstood what you had written. A little spacing may makes it easier to understand.

You purchased a LG AN-WF100 Wireless Wi-Fi USB Adaptor Dongle for LG TV to connect to the web.

You also purchased an Magic motion detector but do not state if its an LG model. If its a LG model I would suggest contacting LG for assistance on what may or may not be needed Click here.

This may be a silly question, you say you replaced the batteries but did you check you had put them in the correct way, we all do it some times. Also if you are using re chargeable batteries are they fully charged?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

On the LG site there is no mention of an adaptor being required for the remote to work. From that it appears that you already have all that is required providing it is an LG remote.

Like this post
worcesterman47

Likes # 0

sorry about the spacing..grammar is not my strong point ( obviously :)..yes it was an LG model..the correct one for the tv...batteries were put in the correct way..and not rechargeable batteries either...also, i to read the LG site and there was no mention of any further items required...but as i staed before someone siad i would need an RF ADAPTOR and i was thinking that the dongle and the RF ADAPTOR were two different things....i did contact the LG site but frankly there answer was not at all clear ( maybe becuse of my grammar again :)...so i think that yes i have everything required and that the MAGIC MOTION REMOTE is a faulty one as there is no mention on the LG site of furthernitems needed ( but i was not really sure myself...so that is why i asked the original questions...many thanks again

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

As the information on the LG web site seems limited I would suggest going to somewhere like John lewis who sell LG TV's and ask if the Magic motion remote works directly through the TV or if you require an RF adaptor. They may have one working.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Go on the US Site and download the manual Click Here

Like this post
worcesterman47

Likes # 0

final update on this thread..after finally getting to chat to a representative from LG ( through the live chat window on there site ) i now know that i DO need a seperate RF dongle & lead..that connects to the tv and allows the MAGIC MOTION REMOTE to work fully in conjuction with the tv...so that saga is now over & many many thanks for the help & advice received

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger