We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sending photos better than email

johnincrete

Likes # 0

I've just spent ages sending photos by GMail. Its 10Mb limit meant that each photo had to be sent in its own email. Watching paint dry is surely more entertaining than watch GMail oad the photo! I had a look at the Flikr (spelling?) site but it looks as if you have to sign up to Yahoo even to see what the site does! Its blurb suggests the photos are visible to anyone and I dont want that - just the receiver to see them and maybe to print them. Is there a better way to send them and retain privacy?

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Why don't you use Picasa 3 and upload to Picasa web albums. You get 20 gig free space and then share albums by sending links. Had it for years and well thought of on this forum. Picasa

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I recently sent 12 photos on 1 email. I had reduced the size to 15 by 10 cm and the resolution to 72 pixels per inch. Each photo was 364.5 K. Of course, this would not be acceptable if the recipient needs to make good quality large prints.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Snapfish and Kodak Photo Gallery allow you to upload photos and then share albums by invite. They are password protected.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Dropbox (Total 2GB) and Windows Live Skydrive (25GB. 100MB per file limit) also available as general purpose file sites.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I second Picasa. If you don't mind low res pics, you can email them directly from the Picasa home page.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I agree with muddypaws, Picassa web albums work very well for me and I can recommend that method.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that you should consider one salient point.

Regardless of which method you use to Store or send Photos via/on the Net. Your Upload Speed will still be about 10% of your Download Speed.

So it will still take an age to upload. The main difference being that you only need to do it the once and then email a link to it (with, of course, a Password) to allow them to access it.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone. I shall investigate and use Picassa. I've already got it and it's used as a quick-fix photo processor but I had not noticed web albums

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...