We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A problem has caused program to stop........................(again)!

geedad

Likes # 0

Windows 7, i5 Intel, 500GB HDD. I am fed up with the same old message ruining my attempts at using applications. For example, when I am in the middle of adding names etc., to an Excel database, for use in a labelling program, up comes the pop-up "The program is not working correctly. Windows needs to close it, and will notify you if a solution is found" etc., etc., etc. Then the program I am working on closes down, and unsaved work lost. Why on earth does this happen on a PC with such a good spec? I should have thought that this could have been rectified by software built into the newer PCs, but I would appreciate any advice for a permanent cure. geedad

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You could try some of the solutions offered answers.microsoft.com but there does not seem to be a definitive answer.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You could try ipconfig /flushdns in command prompt and see if that helps.It should tell you that the DNS Cache has been flushed.

Or even sfc /scannow in command prompt to see if it finds any problems.

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

lotvic buteman Thanks. Will try ANYTHING to solve this nuisance. No point in having a computer if you can't use it! geedad

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

I find that 'windows is trying to find a solution' never works just the same as 'Event Viewer' faults can never be found on Microsoft’s help line. If anyone has a computer that just works let me know the spec because that will be a 1st! Maybe in another 10 years one will just work but come to think of it I was saying that 10 years ago. It's in the IT industry interest to build flawed software product to continue its existence. In the meantime I tend to use Process Explorer to identify faults to see processes hogging PCU time as the likely cause of the problem.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have you done the 'Detect and Repair' in Excel (in Office 2003 it is on Help dropdown menu)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I doubt that there is a permanent cure. Windows trying to find a solutions is useless.

Things to check: Do you have all of the windows and office updates and in particular the office ones if you are having problems with Excel? Run a repair on Office (how this is done depends on the version as it is different for 2007 and 2010 from 2003). How much RAM do you have? Is your antivirus doing something at the same time or do you have other programs running in the background?

When you restart Office apps it will often try to recover data from when it crashed (in tmp files). Have you let it try that?

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

lotvic

Had a look at answers.microsoft.com. And ref. your later reply, I have MS Works installed and not Office.

buteman

Used the 'flushdns' thing, thanks.

Snrub

Process Explorer - does it do Win 7 (64bit)?

Woolwell Yes, have AVG (free) running, and have 4GB ram.Pre-installed MS Works only.

Thank you all for your help. geedad

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I am a bit puzzled now as if you have Works then you do not have Excel but the Works Spreadsheet which is like a cut down version of Excel. Which version of Works are you running? Open a Works program, such as Word Processor. Click Help on the menu bar. Then click About, and it will show what version you have.

You need to make sure that you have the latest version and all of its updates.

BTW I think that Open Office is better than Works.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide