We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Back-up Bios Settings

Declanworld
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've been looking around to see if it's possible to back-up my bios settings but I'm very reluctant to download and install unknown facilities.

If anyone could vouch for a safe option, I'd be eternally grateful.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 1

Do you mean you want to backup your CMOS settings?

Backing up a BIOS is not the sort of thing most want to do and is usually only possible if your motherboard manufacturer offers it as part of its BIOS flash utility (flashing a BIOS is not recommended unless absolutely necessary).

If you are referring to backing up your CMOS values then the good old pen and paper seems to be the preferred option although there are a number of routines that purport to do it. Suggest you search the web for "CMOS backup". Cant help with any of these routines as I havnt used them, sorry.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

It will depend entirely on your motherboard, maker, age etc, without these details it is difficult to give a definitive answer. As for flashing the BIoS it is no more difficult than updating drivers for a graphics card, but that also depends on your motherboard age etc also.

Like this post
Declanworld

Likes # 0

Thanks Bris and Chronus. I think I'll use my camera to snap those settings.

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

Camera or mobile phone.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks