We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

will i gain speed by updating to a newer and faster router from netgear dg834pn?

SANAP

Likes # 0

I am stummped with all the latest developments especially in relation to wireless routers and speed. My bb is about 6mb download and router is set to auto 108mbps but wireless devices show 54mbps max. I want to stream video to a tv using the new apple tv gizmo and was wondering would I bnefit by getting say the Cisco Linksys E4200 and that is supposedly to to 400mbps.

Is it worth the money and will I get any benefit? Also does it mean the receiving device has to be able to handle the higher speeds as well viz is the apple tv gizmo designed to handle any range of speeds?

In a nutshell should I upgrade?

sanap

Like this post
maggotdrowner

Likes # 0

The netgear router is only wireless G but this has been spuperceded by wireless N which offers faster speeds and greater range. Apple TV supports wireless N so a new router could help. Have you tried an ethernet connection from the router to the box just to see if you can get a satisfactory result, after all your bb is 6mb so that will be the limiting factor, not, ultimately, the wireless connection speed. Bear in mind that if you are sharing your bb with other computers etc that you won't get the full 6mb connection to the apple TV and the streaming might therefore keep pausing.

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

thank you, I have been doing a bit of reading and your answer clarifies a lot. I thought the netgear was N as well!! but it looks as if I bought it in 2006!!

And a good tip about other pc's I'll make sure everything is off when trying the apple TV. I will make sure next router is N as well.

sanap

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers