We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Geforce 7950 gx2

NChick

Likes # 0

Just installed this card in my PC and there appear to be driver issues. I used their website to get the 'correct' driver (32bit Vista, English, etc) and it just causes restarts without getting to Winduhs. Is this because it's just slotted into the motherboard without the extra power (a four-pin deely on the card; required adaptor has been ordered), and is therefore operating at 'half power' or something? It's 'working' as such at the moment (using a generic driver provided by Winduhs), but 3D is horrific - panels appearing and disappearing at random (Heroes 5 is a big no-no) being the most obvious bug-bear. (Also, a new, beefier power supply has been ordered)

Like this post
NChick

Likes # 0

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

The most likely culprit at the moment is the lack of a power connection so until you sort that out it would make any further diagnosing quite difficult. If it still does that once it's receiving ample power then you would be looking at testing it in another computer to see whether the card itself is faulty.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

If you have not got the required power supplied to the graphics card then I am puzzled as to why you should be surprised when it did not work. As for putting a beefier PSU in, the power needs for the card are not particularly great and a 400W PSU would handle it. I see the 7980 needs 1 x 6 pin PCI-E connector or you can use a Molex to PCI-E adapter to connect you GPU.

Like this post
NChick

Likes # 0

Chronus, the thing is almost as long as my case and takes up two slots. I'm an experienced computer user and do my own repairs but you need to cut me some slack when I come across something new. This is why I'm asking about it here, to learn (I'm not made of money so can't upgrade much; and often have to 'squeeze out' as much usage as I can). As for the adaptors; I've already ordered the correct parts (and knowing the other components, 600w was needed). I just wish they would hurry up and get here; since with the card as it is at the moment, my PC is cut in half, functionality wise.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings