We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I open a .GFT file?

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been sent a family tree in .gft format. I only have Photoshop, Word etc. Is there a way of opening it - or could the originator convert it at source?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell. Thanks again. Will mark as resolved! I will consult with a couple of family members who have done some work and hope to agree a mutual software based on your views!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
Pepper9

Likes # 0

Download "Legacy" free - this may help you to open the file. Phil

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Looked up gft and found this http://filext.com/file-extension/GFT. Your friend probably uses GSP as his tree maker. I, like many others, use Ancestry's Family Tree Maker which uses a gedcom file. Some software programs can export their trees in gedcom even if it is not their standard one. Worth asking your mate if if his will do so. But then you need a program yourself to read that!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks again folks. I am considering a family tree package and am considering the Ancestry one (can you use their website but have another tree maker?). I have asked him to send in a Gedcom format and at least other software will read it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I use Ancestry and a different software program without any trouble at all. Be careful about uploading or creating a tree online with the privacy settings. Best to make it private.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks all. I will consult other family members in an attempt to get some unanimity!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Provided you can share gedcom files you don't have to have the same program but it may help if you want to assist each other.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback