We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is my graphics card finished?

Will

Likes # 0

I have been at sea and come back to be told the desk top computer stopped working 4 weeks ago, now useing the laptop through wireless. The deskpot screen is saying no signal to the screen... I have connected the cable to my laptop so knw the cable and screen are okay.. does that leave the graphics card only? Could it be anything else?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sounds as though it is the graphics card.Have you tried starting in safe mode to see if it would work.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You could take the graphics card out and see if it starts with the on board graphics.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Thats assuming you have on-board graphics.It very much sounds as though your GPU has died,you do not say what it is and I am assuming that you do not have a spare to try. So see if you can borrow another GPU or buy a new one.Depending on your card this might not be very expensive.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Does the desktop boot? Do any lights come on, make a sound, etc?

Like this post
Will

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone. Didin't think of trying the nboard graphics but think it is the Graphics card just needed the second opinion.

Like this post
Will

Likes # 0

I have replaced the graphics card and there is no change. I now suspect perhaps the CPU is the problem. On turnng the unit on there is no movement or sound other than the fan.. can anybody suggest anything?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

PSU possibly. I did wonder earlier on when I asked about lights, sounds, etc. Were there any power supply problems whilst you were away?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Could be a number of things including motherboard.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Can you get into the BIOS? Usually done by tapping a particular key, delete for my motherboard, but it will tell you on one of the POST screens. If you can get in then you should at least see what your mobo is registering.

You say that there is no movement/ noise other than fan. Which fan? What about the various lights from optical drives and keyboards, does the hard-drive spin?

Like this post
Will

Likes # 0

Can't get anything on the screen at all, it isn't going through at all. The fan is going on the CPU, if the PSU was knackered would it work?. The light on the front came on, no flicker or anything, it is like it gets stuck on the POST... and I couldn't here anything on the HDD(Both) Very odd???

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...