We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Media reports Chrome choking Firefox? Who uses Chrome?

Muergo
Resolved

Likes # 0

Reports this week that Chrome has overtaken Firefox and is closing gap with I.E.

It appears that now Google is directing users to Chrome at the expense of Firefox who get a lot of their revenue from Google who in turn could turn this off gradually.

I have never used Chrome, what do you think about how it performs compared to the other two main players?

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

There is no question, Chrome has become an excellent browser. I have found some issues however, with it's handling of some javascript. But in truth, I don't know enough about javascript to know whether it's the script itself that is causing the problems, or the way Chrome processes it.

Firefox on the other hand, while starting off really good, has become a bloated monster that has consistent memory retention problems that it's developers can't seem to solve. Power users (including me) are able to crash it on a regular basis. Why do I still use it? Because it's strength lays in a huge repository of plugins that make my development life far easier.

IE is the pits - end of story.

It's incapable of rendering the latest web standards and is every web developers worst nightmare. You spend more time trying to make a site render properly in IE than any other browser on earth! Having said that, the latest version is better, but still nowhere near the others for following web standards.

The most underrated one of all and one that gets very little attention is Opera. It is stable, relatively fast (though not as fast as Chrome) and has some very nice features.

Safari, whilst it renders sites beautifully, tends to be slow compared to the others, particularly on older hardware. It's classic Steve Jobs - the vision is everything.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks