We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Media reports Chrome choking Firefox? Who uses Chrome?

Muergo
Resolved

Likes # 0

Reports this week that Chrome has overtaken Firefox and is closing gap with I.E.

It appears that now Google is directing users to Chrome at the expense of Firefox who get a lot of their revenue from Google who in turn could turn this off gradually.

I have never used Chrome, what do you think about how it performs compared to the other two main players?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

IE for me any time. FF as a stanby browser. Rather use any other browser than Googles as they have enough info on my personal searches and email as it is.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I've never used IE, went straight from Netscape to Firefox, but have been with Chrome since the beta cam out.

Chrome is far better in my view and I only ever use FF for this site (problem with colours).

Like this post  
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I've been a long time Chrome user, and love it. It's light, fast, responsive and intuitive. That said, I've only ever used IE before (and, occasionally, Safari) - so I don't know how it compares with other browsers. I don't really subscribe to the 'Big bad Google' thing - which is strange, given my normally high levels of paranoia. If Chrome has a downside, it's that there are a - very - few sites that aren't happy with it, and prefer IE. But that may be equally true for FF etc.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Well on balance I think I shall download Chrome, I've been having persistent troubles with Firefox and missing photos/graphics over several updates and it still is prone to crashing.

Thanks for all your guidance.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I have noticed that Google Chrome in all versions is only at Beta stage, the list in FileHippo only shows Beta, are there none which are completed or do they just stay in beta all the time? Most strange.

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

You must be looking at the Beta channel. Chrome is at v 15.0 final. Though I believe v16 coming soon.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Why are you looking in filehippo for Chrome? It is a Google product so it is better to download from there. Google Chrome

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I use chrome most of the time now as I find it faster, I also have a few Polish and Latvian friends and Chrome has an inbuilt translator, all I have to do is right click and translate this page and it translates in real time if we are using messenger of facebook chat.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Woolwell, I happened to be in Filehippo updating other programs and Chrome was highlighted so I looked at the downloads there which were all beta.

I've just had an abortive installation using Google, so had to uninstall before trying again.

Translation sounds useful but I already have Google translator to look at the Spanish newspapers. That seems to come up automatically.

I am having extreme TalkTalk line speed trouble at the moment so installation may be dropping out as I only have 360Kb. It's part of a plot by TalkTalk to persuade me to pay an extra £10 a month for optical.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad