We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Kindle and PDF files

steve263000

Likes # 0

I have purchased the new Kindle and am in general very happy with it. However I am trying to put some PDF files on there for viewing my work stuff. I don't seem to be having any success with that side of it.

I tried to put them on directly without success and because I use PDF-viewer for my files and not acrobat they would not work.

I then download my files to acrobat on line and transferred them back to the computer separately as acrobat file and tried again. Without success. Has anyone had the same problems or is it just me?

The Kindle is the new small one for £89 by the way

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The older one £110 worked OK for me (not tried the new one yet) just put the pdf file into the Document folder on the Kindle.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

You could download Calibre,then convert it to emobi in there,then send to the Kindle

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

"You could download Calibre,then convert it to mobi" I wouldn't do this.

PDF files will convert to mobi with Calibre but it makes a very poor job of it.

I haven't got the new version of Kindle but the previous version will read PDF files.

Just copy them to the Documents folder on Kindle.

It has nothing to do with your PDF viewer.

I've just looked at Amazon site and this latest Kindle does read PDF files.

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies. I have tried all of the above, (not Claibre) and nothing seems to work. The files shows up on the screen as being in there, but when I click on it to open it all I get is a blank screen

Like this post
beynac

Likes # 0

I believe that you have to email the files to your Kindle. john bunyan's link gives the details. Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I read this, but it must be worth a try.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Just done it on mine, ordinary drag & drop or copy to 'Documents' folder on the Kindle.

Find Kindle is laboriously slow 30-45 seconds to go to the next page in a .pdf so maybe you are not waiting long enough for it to load before it can display.

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies again. I have been looking at the Kindle again and it seems that the version that I have, (version 4) is not compatible with PDF files yet. Maybe it needs a software upgrade.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

But that is the one I have just got and put .pdf on....

"Content Formats Supported Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion"

"Documentation Quick Start Guide (included in box) [PDF]; Kindle User's Guide (pre-installed on device) [PDF] "

Read the Technical Details ClickHere

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I have downloaded PDF's to my new Kindle (v4). You need to be in wi-fi range. E-mail it to your Kindle e-mail address and have the word "convert" in the subjct line of the e-mail. Wait a couple of minutes and it should download it to the Kindle via wi-fi. See the bottom of page 112 of the user manual.

It worked for me, but it does not handle PDF's very well, especially if there are a lot of graphics in the document. In my experience, it handles Word documents better.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers