We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mailwasher Messages

SURVEY
Resolved

Likes # 0

Setting up new computer using WL Mail and Mailwasher. Emails are downloaded to Mailwasher, but when they are processed into WLM they remain on Mailwasher's screen, What do I need to do to ensure when I check on Mailwasher next the downloaded ones are removed?

Also how do I ensure that on loading WLM, that emails are NOT automatically downloaded as I would rather they wait for Mailwasher?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Mailwasher will list all messages on the server. If you have configured your email program to leave messages on the server, it [the mail program] will track which ones have already been retrieved and only get the new ones. Mailwasher, however, will continue to display all messages on the server.

"Also how do I ensure that on loading WLM, that emails are NOT automatically downloaded as I would rather they wait for Mailwasher?"

If using POP3, your email program shouldn't be configured to retrieve messages automatically. Mailwasher should check periodically for new messages, you should look to see which messages you want to keep and which to get rid of and only then do you get your email program to download the messages you want.

However, if you're using IMAP, where the program continuously synchronises with the mail server, you need to wait until you've finished processing messages in Mailwasher before launching your email program.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

mgmcc - thanks for your help. Messages are removed for my btinternet account as that is a POP3 account and has a tick box on the WLM setup; however gmail is IMAP and the option to leave a copy or not is not available!

At time I find I am getting multiple emails down into WLM

Interestingly, with another computer running Mailwasher and OutlookExpress, all emails are cleared from Mailwasher (on next clicking 'Check Mail' in MW) when downloaded into OE, but not with WLM.

Give me back OE with Windows 7 please...... The whole layout of WLM is awful.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"Messages are removed for my btinternet account as that is a POP3 account and has a tick box on the WLM setup"

If there's a "tick in the box", that will be to leave messages on the server so they will continue to be displayed in Mailwasher even if they've been retrieved by WLM.

"however gmail is IMAP and the option to leave a copy or not is not available!"

No with IMAP there will be no such option. Both Mailwasher and WLM will show the messages on the server because they are kept in "sync". They will only be removed from Mailwasher when either you delete them or, in WLM, move them from the Inbox folder to another folder.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Well, all working OK now. Seemed to improve when I rebooted after each amendment. Thanks for your valuable help. I do not particularly like the layout of WLM - the toolbars are cluttered and the screen layout is not as friendly and legible as Outlook Express.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?