We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Disc partitions Windows7 32bit

irvinlittlewood@hotmail.com

Likes # 0

Can anyone help? My c.drive is filling up fast. I would like to move some folders ie My documents,pictures and music away from c; and onto the d; partition. Any helpfull advice would be welcomed.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Move the Documents folder to a different location by navigating to the folder, then right-click it > Properties > Location Tab > Move, select a Destination and follow the prompts. The location can be restored by choosing Restore Default.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

If you are keeping all of your Documents, pictures and music on your computer I would suggest making a copy onto an external drive. If your computer fails you will have lost everything.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Hi Burr,

Thanks for your advice. I have selected location in properties, but cannot see move. Only remove is showing. What am I doing wrong?

Irvin

Like this post

Likes # 0

Hi Brynit,

I have a copy on a WD hardisc. Thanks for your concern.

Irvin

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Hi

Go Start Computer C drive USERS Your UserName Expand this and it will list contacts, downloads etc. Now Right Click on My Documents PROPETIES and look for the tab LOCATION Select MOVE and then select D drive and Apply.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Try the easy way open your C drive select the file/ files you want to move right click and select cut, open D right click and select paste,

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

That's one way to do it but if you follow my steps then W7 will update the shortcuts listed under start etc and any desktop icons.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Hi JollyJohn,

I have now been able to move pictures and music but when I try to move my documents I get the error message PerformRedirection the filename or extension is too long. Any idea's anybody Many thanks for your help so far. I seem to be making progress.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Having googled the problem the suggestion is that one or more of the filenames of something in My Documents is too long. Have a look through and maybe rename anything with a long filename. The limit, including the path, is 254 characters. So c:\username\my documents\ - has already used up 25 characters!

Like this post

Likes # 0

Thanks for that JollyJohn, I am starting to search my docs but it looks as though it will take some time. Thanks everybody for your help,

Irvin

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks