We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Graphics Tablet help please

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

Absolutely no knowledge of these and was hoping to buy one as chrissie present - hint only just dropped by 'er indoors. She is on Win XP Pro, 2.8Ghz Duo Core CPU,2Gb Mem, 200 Gig HDD and Photoshop 6.0 software. Can anyone point me in the direction of something compatible around the £70 mark. She generally uses the software for colouring of scanned in drawings but might utilise it for drawing originals.

Tks

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Wacom are far and away the best - I believe!

The Bamboo is currently their introductory model and about your budget if you shop around,

USB is the usual connection these days.

Any tablet behaves exactly like a pen giving fine enough control to write your signature.

Wacom change the names of their products quite often and I changed to a larger and more expensive tablet mainly because the pen is nicer to hold, and there's room to be more ambitious over the editing or freelancing you may want to do.

The small tablet size is not to be sneered at, it is quite adequate for most (home) users. All the pens have side buttons emulating left and right click and the nylon point is pressure sensitive.

Good software is packed with it an fuss free in use. In fact it can be used as well as the mouse though not at the same time.

If you want to use the mouse then park the pen in its holder, or if it is the pen you want just move the mouse away first and ignore it

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Diemmess

Thanks for the input, had a look on the website and that seems to fit the bill. It seems software is packaged with the unit but would you know if it would work with the software we already have installed?

Tks.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

csqwared

Odds-on it will work with any version of Windows. Just make sure when you buy that it is not the Apple Mac version!

I don't use mine as much these days, but at one period I enjoyed using it and did so for everything until I realised I was on the way to a form of RSI in my shoulder. Instead of resting my hand as you do most of the time with a mouse, the hand was held in thin air by the muscles of my shoulder and the pen at the ready.

I'm short of desktop area and it takes a minute or so to set the tablet up after putting the mouse to one side. It is a fine tool for accurate tracing and photo editing if you have say Photoshop or Corel as I have.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Tks for that. Problem (and chrissie pressie) solved.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers