We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CD burner playing up, help for beginner please?

Sneeze1

Likes # 0

I am using Verbatim DVD - to record home made movies through Nero Vision essentials four, which has been working fine. Today i tried to burn another disk and it went through ok then the line which says Total progress stopped and wouldn't move. i then got a notice pop up saying:

'Sorry your compilation cannot be written to this kind of disk. Please insert a disk of the correct type, or modify the settings to make them compatible with the correct disk'.

I am very depressed at the moment, I rang up a friend who says I might have a virus, but I always update my free version of AVG when I switch on. I have never had a problem like this before so I wonder if the CD burner has gone wrong (which I hope not) or whether the disks are faulty. i ave tried two and have come up with the smae result. the guy who made me the computer doesn't live in the area anymore, so i am looking for a PC engineer which is like looking for a needle in haystack

Can anyone advise me please? I am not very computer illiterate and have another video to upload of my time in Cornwall. I knew I shouldn't have got up this morning.

Many thanks.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Are you using DVD-R or DVD-RW ? If you can burn RW, but not R, and the disc is fine, the problem probably lies in the recorder itself.

How large is the file - Will it actually fit onto a single layer dvd-r?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Just a thought - make sure you are not accidentally using the CD section of NERO instead of the DVD section.

Like this post
Sneeze1

Likes # 0

Hi I am using a DVD-R and I click on make video CD, is that the right one? I have never had this problem before, do you think I should try some different disks?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I don't use NERO but I would have thought it would be "Burn a Video DVD"

Are you using Nero Start Smart to do this - maybe best to open Nero from Start - All Programs etc.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
Sneeze1

Likes # 0

I think I am using version four, how do I find out what version it is please?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Video CDs are burned to CDs not DVDs.

You need to be in the DVD part of whatever section of Nero.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I am using a DVD-R and I click on make video CD

Seems to me you are trying to use the wrong setting. A Video CD is just that a " Video on a CD " usually limited to about 15 mins. You need to choose to a make DVD option with DVD discs.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
Sneeze1

Likes # 0

Am I better off getting a newer version of Nero?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED