We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with System Fix virus

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Second PC in two days infected with this virus. First one was cleared using the Bleepingcomputer guide. On the second one, rkill and TDSSKiller run OK, but I can't install MBAM -'could not complete the operation' etc. I'm logged in as Administarator in Safe Mode.

Any ideas, please?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try this in safe mode.

http://www.surfright.nl/en

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks buteman -I've already tried hitman and the Trendmicro online scans 9sorry, I should have mentioned that in my first post). They both found problems, but infection still there after re-boot. I've also tried renaming the MBAM file, but that didn't work either. This seems a particularly difficult bug!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Now not sure how you do it nowadays but you used to be able to switch users in safe mode and connect to the computer administrator and you would be able to download Malwarebytes from there.

Not sure if you can still do it now or not.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try going into I/E .internet options.Connections.Lan Settings and if there is anything on use proxy server untick it and see if you can download Mbam then.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

No, not ticked. I can download MBAM, but at the end of the setup phase, it stops with an access denied message. Clicking OK just rolls back the installation.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Start- Run (search box) type devmgmt.msc and click OK

On the View menu - Show hidden devices Browse to Non-Plug and Play Drivers and you should see something like

TDSSspax.sys TDSSServ.sys gaopdxserv.sys UACmxegjtve.sys

Highlight the drivers and right click and select DISABLE - NOT uninstall.

Now RESTART your computer.

Download a copy of Malwarebytes or if you already have the install file but DO NOT run it yet.

Rename the downloaded installer file to any generic name such as your own name but keep the .EXE extension on the file and run it.

Once the program is installed go to the UPDATE tab and try to update the program if you can.

Then run a Quick Scan and allow MBAM to fix everything found.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks FB - in the middle of running Combofix at the mo. Will reporty back!

Like this post
baldydave

Likes # 0

Hi, If you still have problems then try the software below. http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper Use a good pc to download and install program/this then downloads antivirus and antivirus signatures from microsoft/it then burns this to a cd or dvd. Go into the bios (del or f2 normally) and set pc to boot from cd.The cd will start and remove all of the problems as windows will not be running. Hope this helps, Dave

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks all, but so far so good - Combofix has finished its run, and MBAM has now installed and is running. Shall report back in due course (this is a nasty little beggar).

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

OK, PC now boots normally with no sign of the virus. All folders are available again.

BUT - the desktop has no icons visible. Right clicking the desktop does not produce the usual drop-down menu where 'arrange icons' can normally be seen. Further thoughts please (I wondered about a system restore, but that had been turned off sometime during the procedure).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers