We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

All XP programmes on Start Button shown as 'empty'

tigertop2

Likes # 0

I have a friend's XP PC which I have now cleaned up, removing numerous 'nasties ' in the process. As a result of the virus attacks 'All Programmes' is no longer available and in fact shows 'empty' apart from the new Security Software I have loaded. I have tried the recommended Microsoft 'hotfix' but without success. I cannot get the PC to boot into either Bios or Safe Mode or even access 'Windows Restore' although Windows XP fires up no problem. I suspect the access to the registry is possibly fouled up as a consequence of the virus attack ( now removed) but how do I get the Start All Programmes displayed again? I myself think that a complete reinstallation of Windows XP is the only answer but cannot get into Bios to change the boot order. It is an old HP Compaq 2000MT and I would personally bin it but am curious to know of any possible fixes.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you checked in Taskmanager to see if explorer.exe is running.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Thanks ICF I will try that too In due course I will post an update.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

No joy on any suggested remedies. I can see the programmes listed but cannot access any except the new Security ones I have loaded. Tried a PS2 keyboard. Made no difference.

Tried to boot an XP disc from the DVD player but as the PC has windows SP3 and the disc is only XP SP2 it rightly tells me to boot from the CD on start up. Which I cannot do as I cannot access the Bios or indeed anything else except the full start up which the machine happily proceeds to by ignoring the normal Delete and F8 buttons--- and any others for that matter.

I have 'enjoyed' the challenge of looking for a cure and thank you all for your helpful suggestions. Since this aged PC also has a louder and louder hard drive death rattle I think it should now be allowed to expire in peace. Its owner is away in the sunshine of Madiera right now. I shall send him a message advising him to cut down on the entertainment budget as he needs to buy a new PC on return. Some you win and some you lose. Case closed and thank you all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks