We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

All XP programmes on Start Button shown as 'empty'

tigertop2

Likes # 0

I have a friend's XP PC which I have now cleaned up, removing numerous 'nasties ' in the process. As a result of the virus attacks 'All Programmes' is no longer available and in fact shows 'empty' apart from the new Security Software I have loaded. I have tried the recommended Microsoft 'hotfix' but without success. I cannot get the PC to boot into either Bios or Safe Mode or even access 'Windows Restore' although Windows XP fires up no problem. I suspect the access to the registry is possibly fouled up as a consequence of the virus attack ( now removed) but how do I get the Start All Programmes displayed again? I myself think that a complete reinstallation of Windows XP is the only answer but cannot get into Bios to change the boot order. It is an old HP Compaq 2000MT and I would personally bin it but am curious to know of any possible fixes.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Right click the documents and settings folder,

in the properties window if the hidden attribute is checked then uncheck that

apply the settings and see if programs appear.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat. That was one of the first things I tried but no joy I am afraid

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

programs folder set to hidden?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

HAve a read of this thread

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Program folder is not hidden. I will have a look at the other link

Appreciate your help

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

What type of keyboard are you using USB or PS2

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

sfc /scannow in command prompt.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As you have removed'A lot of nasties', it is possible that you have cleared the all programs list as well.(which is only a shortcut list) As you can see the new virus program you have installed, as you use the other programs they will appear on that list.

Just go straight to the programs folder and load the exe program from there (normally c:\ program files) for all programs you want, and it will appear on the program list.

Terry

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

The PC came to me because it would not show 'All programmes' However I will try your suggestion anyway. For ICF ---it is a USB keyboard

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

You may no be able to get in the bios/safmode because the USB key board is not detected before windows boots up.Have you tried a ps2 key board?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...