We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB wireless mouse is acting as Remote Boot-up control - strange ????

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi

I now am running a new machine which I got as BareBones, so had to fit various components and installed Windows 7. All went well and I enjoyed the new experience.

However, I have recently been a bit puzzled why, after shutting the machine down, it would seemingly switch itself on and boot up. This was without me touching the PC. Quite weird, I felt.

Yesterday, I discovered it was due to the USB mouse I use. I have used this mouse for a couple of years or so on my previous PC without any issues. I tested this 'theory' a few times last night. This morning I merely moved the mouse on the desk and the PC switched on and booted normally and the same again this evening.

The PC, monitor, speakers are all plugged into an extension lead which is designed to turn off all equipment that is plugged on it, when the PC is switched off.

Has anyone any ideas as to why this is happening with this machine, please?

Also, is there anything I can do to prevent the mouse being a 'remote control', short of removing the battery each time I switch the PC off and without buying another USB wireless mouse that can be switched off? Using a wired mouse is not an option, though.

Thanks for any suggestions offered.

Cheers

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Traffic vibration from a 'minor' main road 75' away triggers my mouse upstairs!

Start Search Device Manager right click mouse for Properties, Power Management. Uncheck Allow this device to wake computer.

You should not get problems from Shutdown anyway (only Sleep). Check your Windows 7 Power Options.

Like this post  
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hmmm, that sounds very interesting. Thanks

He! He! I thought you were 'winding me up' when I first started reading about a road triggering your mouse in your reply, assuming my post was thought to be a joke!!! ;) I soon realised you were serious, though!!!

I'll check out your suggestions and post back. Thanks very much

Cheers

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

No joke. Have fun.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

@robinofloxley - You're a star and spot-on!!!
Wow! I'm impressed!!! :)

I discovered the mouse was ticked to switch computer on. I didn't know that option was there, or even possible.

Having that option may be useful at some stage but, for the moment, I have unticked the box and so will resort to being 'normal'.

Thanks so very much for your prompt and knowledgeable reponse.

Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...