We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

excel office 2007 help

Boy Zone

Likes # 0

I'm try to resolve the following:- Firstly in cell A4 is equation A4 =sum(A1-A3) ie taking one number from another to give a total.

What I'm trying to do in the cell A4 is to compare this value with another cell say B4 and if A4 is higher to make that cell turn RED and if lower turn that cell GREEN.

if number in cell A4 is great than B4 number is shown in RED or lower shown in GREEN

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You want conditional formatting Conditonal formatting and How to use

Like this post
Boy Zone

Likes # 0

I am aware of conditional logic but my problem is using a formula to make a calculation and then compare the results with another cell and show if its higher by its colour.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You can two rules one which will make the cell red if it is greater than B4 and the other which will make the cell green if it lower than B4. It is not a formula but conditional formatting.

I would have used in A3 =A1-A3

Like this post
Boy Zone

Likes # 0

not sure how this one works.

I know how to create a simple IF statement

such as =IF(A1>A2,"LOWER",HIGHER") but this does not show the number in cell

but what I trying to do is :- A1 = say 1000 A2 = say 1080

what I want to highlight is, if the number in A2 is higher than A1 I want this number in A2 to be in RED text and if lower shown in GREEN text (number) How do I do this???

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sorry I misunderstood your initial question. I thought that you wanted the cell to turn colour not the text.

VOG will be better able to answer. In the meantime I'll look into it.

Like this post
VoG II

Likes # 0

You can colour the text (font) using Conditional Formatting. For the red text, CF > Use a formula... option, enter the formula

=A2>A1

Click Format, on the Font tab in the Color dropdown select Red then OK your way out.

Similarly for the green condition.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It is conditional formatting. Highlight the cells you want formatted. Click on the bottom arrow below conditional formatting and select manage rules. Click on new rule - select format only cells that contain. In the window below change use the drop down arrow to change from between to less than then choose the cell you want to compare it to in your case $A$1. The under format choose your font colour and then ok and apply. Repeat the process for greater than.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

VoG™'s way is much easier.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?