We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which new laptop to buy?

renketsu.warrior

Likes # 0

Hello all,

I'm very new to this so please bear with me! After our desktop PC gave up the ghost my wife has offered to buy me a laptop for Christmas (~£450) and I'm really starting to get bogged down with which one will give me most bang for my buck. I am a mature student so will be using it for assignments etc, but also to browse internet, skype friend, download movies, store music and things like that. I intend to stream videos etc directly to our internet tv so ideally it would be capable of that (our desktop one was so old I had to use TVersity and my xBox to do that because streaming directly resulted in the worst picture ever!)

We've been looking in PC World as that seems to be the biggest retailer, although I'm aware that the markup will be quite a lot and I could possibly get a better laptop at the same price online.

However, I have no idea of the difference between an AMD and Intel chip; don't know the difference between an i3 and i5(?) etc so I have no idea what to go for. Does it make a difference how much RAM is in there?

These are some of the ones I've seen at PC World:

-Dell Q15R Switch - product code 288112 - £429.99

-Toshiba Satellite C660-2D7 in white - product code 735942 - £399.99

-HP Pavillion g6-1224sa - product code 675949 - £429.97 (not in red though)

-Toshiba Satellite C660-258 (try see if that comes in white too) - product code 673275 - £429.99

-Lenovo IdeaPad Z575 - product code 240586 - £429.99

I want something that will last more than a year or two and something that's reliable. Not too arsed about a mega wonderful battery as I'll always have it plugged in, and not too bothered about brand name.

Can anyone who knows loads about this stuff help? I only want to spend to a maximum of £450 if at all possible.

Thanks very much

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have a look here: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/2/consumerwatch/4099180/advice-required-on-choosing-laptop/

I favour Toshiba as my repair shop says they are easy to get spares etc. Also John Lewis as a supplier as they give a 2 year warranty. Have a look at Toshiba and John Lewis websites - a 3i or 5i processor with 4 Gig Ram or more is good. Dell has had some criticisms on after sales service here, and HP have stopped making laptops, and although they will "stand behind" laptops sold now, I would, personally not favour that brand.

Like this post
renketsu.warrior

Likes # 0

Hi - further to the above, here are the links for the laptops I mention:

The Dell one

Lenovo One

Toshiba 1

Other Toshiba one

HP One

3rd Toshiba One

Lenovo One

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

HP isn't going to stop making laptops. They are going to stop making tablets and smart phones that use their WebOS operating system.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK