We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No pictures

Ian in Northampton
Resolved

Likes # 0

Over the last few days, for reasons I don't understand, pictures no longer appear in emails when they download from my Plusnet account to Outlook 2003. All that's there is the red x and a box where the image should be. I'd guess these are images that are hosted on the web rather than embedded in the email itself. Also, whenever I hover over a hyperlink, the 'point finger' is accompanied by a "don't go there" symbol (i.e. a circle with a diagonal line across it) - although clicking on links works fine.

My first thought was that my Outlook security settings had somehow got changed - specifically, the one that allows you to determine whether Outlook displays images or not - but it's just as it should be.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Locate the Outlook Temporary Items folder by opening the Registry and locating HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security\OutlookSecureTempFolder
  2. Navigate to the value of this Key. It should be something like: %USERPROFILE%\LocalSettings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK3D\ where OLK3D is some randomly generated string that always starts with OLK
  3. Quit Outlook
  4. Delete the contents of the folder
  5. Launch Outlook
Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Many thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ for the superfast reply. I've done that, but it doesn't seem to have worked. I just forwarded myself an email with embedded images from another email account, and I have the same symptoms... :-(

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This may help MS Office picture downloads or alternatively have a look through this Outlook 2003 not showing images and this appears to give several solutions.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell. I'll take a look and report back.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Frustratingly (or not, depending on your point of view...) this appears to have resolved itself, making me think that possibly there was an issue at the ISP end. Personally, I hate it when things fix themselves and I don't know how - but I guess I shouldn't complain...

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...