We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SD Card size limitation

Blott
Resolved

Likes # 0

I purchased an 8GB SD card for use in digital c amera, where it worked well.

However, when I put the card into the slot on my PC - nothing, not even an error message.

Experimenting has shown that PC happily reads 1GB and 2GB cards, but will not read 4GB or 8GB.

PC is 5 years old and I assume this problem is due to some limitation in the hardware.

Any advice would be welcome, especially if there is anything I can do to make the machine read the higher capacity cards.

Regards to all Blott

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Most probably the cards your PC won't read are HDSD cards and your card reader won't read them. Same here!

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

SD cards of more than 2GB are called SDHC, or Secure Digital High Capacity. Older card readers will not accept theses cards. You have two options. You can either replace the card reader in your PC with one which reads SDHC cards or you can purchase an external SDHC card reader which will plug into your PC via USB.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Oops that should read SDHC, Amazon

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Your card (any over 4G) are SDHC (high capacity)

Older machines cannot read the high capacity cards

I have an old USB card reader will not raed these cards and my 2006 Medion is the same, luckily my printer is newer an has the higher capacity capability.

You could buy a USB card reader to plug in to your machine here

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

You can get 4GB sd cards, 4GB SD card

Like this post
alB

Likes # 0

Blott, I had the same problem, got a USB card reader from Poundland for......£1.. similar to this one Card reader works fine ...alB

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'