We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

US & UK voltages - Charger/Plugs

travel39

Likes # 0

I will shortky be receiving a Samsung Galaxy 7" Tab Plus tablet (bought in the US) When I contacted Samsung UK, they said I will need a voltage converter to step the voltage down from 240 to 120. I previously thought that all charger/plug units will accept voltages from 100 to 240 volts. Is this correc? I have a cheap basic LG mobile which I bought in the States and the charger for that works fine on 240 UK mains, due to being a world universal charger/plug. Can you please advise. Thank you.

Kind regards

Brian Scott

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I suspect you are right and Samsung will be wrong.

It will be printed on the label on the charger. That's a worldwide legal requirement. Have a look when it arrives.

If it is multi-standard, get an adaptor from local shop. Don't try to force US pins in our sockets, they are a different pitch.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Or cut the end off and fit a plug.

Like this post
travel39

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply Robin.I feel that I'm right about the fact that most charger/plugs are made to world wide standards which logically means they're ok to operate over a range of 100 to 240 volts. However, I'll do the sensible thing and make a point of double checking the label on the charger/plug when I get it. I suspect that all will be ok,although I'm a bit surp;rised by Samsungs advice which I didn't feel was right. Hence my query. Thank you.

Brian Scott

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

An adaptor is fairly straightforward and the pins will be available if you go back to the USA. Most supermarkets stock travel adaptors.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

looking at the accesories page samsung it seems that it is a standard usb connection to the plug. The USB adaptors are fairly cheap but this onethe skross 2 usb adaptor/travel plug covers everywhere and I find it extremely useful well worth £20

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"it seems that it is a standard usb connection"

Beware! It isn't.

The 7 inch has a special Samsung connector, a source of great annoyance.

"That's a worldwide legal requirement. Have a look when it arrives."

I think you'll find that only applies to mobile phones, and manufacturers can go their own way with tablets, though most do use the standard micro-usb.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

morddwyd,

not owning one I was just looking at the travel adaptor Samsung show on their accessory page. Click here samsung tab 7 then accssories tab, then #04. It shows a USB lead to the adaptor, not worried about the other (tablet) end as this thread is about the converter. I hope I am correct as it will save travel39 a lot of hassle.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen