We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem accessing one website. Is this an ISP issue ?

mooly
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am having problems today connecting to just one website, diyaudio.com which I use daily.

I get the "internet explorer can not display the webpage" and the dropdown gives the usual possibilities. All other sites I try seem OK.

If I put the web address into "isitdownforeveryone or just me" that reports the site up and running.

I cleared all temp files/cookies, ran a full disk clean and cleaned all in IE that was cleanable. I did the ipconfig /flush DNS command and netstop and net start DNS cache commands and still no joy.

While I kept trying I accidently clicked on the "diagnose problems" on the IE failed to display web page. That said something like that "the host server at address 290.xxx.xxx etc had been found but fails to respond when pinged" and that resetting the network can fix problems.

I then reset the BT Home Hub and low and behold I had instant access to the problem site.

This evening it has done exactly the same and resetting the router has again fixed the issue. Why is this happening all of a sudden and why just seemingly one site affected ? Is it something I should contact BT over ?

thanks

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If your router keeps resetting itself or you need to keep resetting it, then I would contact BT about the problem.

What happens when you try another browser?.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Hi spuds,

I went as far as asking on the BT forum last night. A lot were saying they too were having problems with sites being unreachable. Even sites such as Bing.com

I unplugged my HH for a while last night rather than just doing a soft "reset" and up to now it's been OK.

I don't really understand enough about the way the internet works to be able to understand why resetting a router suddenly allows access to one site that was giving problems.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

All has been fine today as well so I conclude it was an ISP/ server issue of some sort.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'