We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeview programme guide keeps disappearing

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've posted questions about several problems with our Freeview boxes, in the last couple of months. Mostly they appear to associated with the digital switchover which took place in our area (Tacolneston transmitter) on the 23rd November.

For the last three days neither of our Freeview boxes has been able to bring up the electronic programme guide. If you press the "Guide" button, you see the empty Guide screen for a second or two, then it disappears again. All channels appear to be normal, and can be watched by scrolling up or down with the P+ and P- buttons. But the lack of an EPG is a nuisance.

I've tried a full "first time installation" several times on both boxes, but this has made no difference.

The two boxes are different brands (both cheap). But they do have identical remote controls, which leads me to suspect that the innards may be the same, just packed into different badged boxes.

Has anyone else suffered this problem? Any ideas how to get the guide back, please?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

A splitter is still reducing the signal while connected even if one of the units is in standby.

A one to two way booster/distribution amp doesn't suffer this. (or any multiway. The outputs do not load the source)

The reason I brought up 'reception' again is, although you fixed the EPG, you mentioned Sound dropouts and sync problems.

These an be caused by generally by bad connectors/cables/aerial/trees/weather etc.

Or 'Impulse Noise' from passing mopeds/central heating switching/fridge/freezer.

Can be a right hassle to track down.

I wouldn't worry too much if you have been living with it for a while and as you say you can't get at everything easily.

And Christmas is rapidly approaching.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

I think you're right, RoL. These things are a minor nuisance, and it's easy to get to a point where the solution is more of a nuisance than the problem!

I'll live with them!

Thanks again to you and everyone for your contributions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...