We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Avast false positive?

stlucia2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've been using Avast for about a week now -- I previously had AVG but switched because of apparent compatibility problems with MS Office.

Anyway, Avast has today started giving me notice that it's detected a "Rootkit: hidden file", C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sfloppy.sys. I suggests the appropriate action is to delete it, so I click okay. I then allowed it to reboot my PC and do a boot-time scan, as it suggested. That resulted in four notifications of corrupted files, but no trojans or anything nasty.

Then, a bit later the notice about the same file popped up, and I clicked on OK again to delete it again. But using Windows Explorer I see that the file is still there -- and the Avast notice has just popped up yet again.

The file size shows as 11.1KB whereas info on the internet http://www.file.net/process/sfloppy.sys.html suggests it should be 11,392 or 10,496 bytes. Seems like Avast can't delete it, so should I do so manually -- or maybe just move it to another location for a while to see if my PC really needs it?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I would go to the Avast Forum and see what is in there regarding it.

I know when I first started using Avast I got 3 false positives in the one go which nearly knackered my computer.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Yeah this is a false positive.I got it too as did many others.I deleted it but it's still there after reboot(Thankfully)as it's part of windows.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

P.s just choose to ignore it to save the popup from recurring!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes definitely a false positive Just tell Avast to ignre it and not to do a bootscan.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thanks guys. The warning hasn't popped up yet in this evening's session, so maybe Avast has forgotten about it already ;-)

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

I started to receive the same warning after the latest update today, and after downloading a new version yesterday evening. So it appears that there is something wrong on Avast's side. If so let's hope that they make the necessary corrections?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback