We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless or Ethernet Connection

wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have just upgraded my Internet Connection to a 20Mb/s one. BT told me that my line should support between 7Mb/s and 11Mb/s but I am only managing 3.45Mb/s.

Currently, my PC has no Wireless Card, so it is connected to the "Home Hub" by a CAT5 Cable. The Home Hub is connected to an Extension Telephone Socket, about 20' from the Main Socket.

My Question: Would I be better off to stick a Wireless Card, or Dongle, into the PC and connect the Home Hub to the main Telephone Socket?

My Lappy has a neat little Wireless Dongle which works well through two walls. If I were to add a Powered USB Hub, to the PC, and plug the Dongle into that. Would it be OK.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

The first thing I would suggest is that you connect the Home Hub directly to your main telephone socket with a filter. Extension Telephone Sockets are notorious for slowing down the connection.

You could get a wireless card or dongle for your desktop PC but it would perform better via an ethernet connection directly to your router. If you want to position your desktop quite a way away from the router you can buy a longer ethernet cable.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

Thanks "difarn".

However there is not room in the passage-way at the top of the stairs for a PC and a 25' Cat5 Cable is not really a solution that I can work with.

Sorry, I forgot to say that I have MicroFilters in place on all Extensions.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

I suppose it really comes down to this:

Which slows the Data more, a WIFI Connection or an Extension Socket?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 1

"Which slows the Data more, a WIFI Connection or an Extension Socket?"

The one thing you don't want to do is to degrade the ADSL signal so, as suggested, plug the router into the main telephone socket. WiFi, using an 802.11n (150/300Mbps) Wireless Network Adapter in the PC should be fine.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

In answer to your query, definitely the extension socket. Here we do have a spare desktop running with a wifi dongle with no problems, albeit slower than two other desktops linked with ethernet. I would be advised to use the recommended Wireless Network Adapter above.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

I run my internet connection direct from the BT main socket via a 50'0" cable, with no filters connected to any of the extensions or own installed sockets, because the filter is already installed in the BT main socket. As BT and my ISP state, if your broadband can go through the BT system and exchange, then the cable length in the home isn't going to make much difference, unless there is a major fault?.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

Another option is homeplugs

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 1

Your Hub will require very little space next to your telephone socket, so remove the extension. Connect to your Pc via and ethernet cable to the required lenght. I would suggest you use filters on every telephone socket ( as recommended by BT ) Then run a speed test. Wirless will always give a lower speed than direct connection. I have also found lower speed useing homeplugs. and i have yet to find a powered hub giveing better speed than the direct connection

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

sharpmat - I absolutely agree with you which is why I recommended it a few posts back.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

sharpamat/difarn, there seems to be a little disagreement or confusion about filters. If you check with BT or your ISP, you will find that they could recommend filters on all internal sockets. But as I stated earlier, if the BT supplied main socket as an internal filter fitted, then fitting separate filters to other sockets is serving no purpose at all.

My information is direct from BT OpenReach and Exchange engineers who were involved with a major problem that I had with my broadband connections.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September