We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Frozen Toshiba NB200

spiderlegz
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, I have an issue with a Toshiba NB200 netbook & need some advice please. I’ve reinstalled Windows XP SP3 but the screen freezes on the XP logo when booting. Initially the touchpad & keyboard kept locking up, also had a few BSOD a few times, which prompted the reinstallation. The pad & keyboard failed to work the first time, hard drive was not recognised the second time, RAM the fourth time but on the 5th attempt everything went fine until the XP loading page after installation. Strangely enough though, it boots into safe mode with no problems. While in safe mode I updated the BIO’s to the latest version & also installed all the hardware drivers with the latest versions but it still freezes on normal boot. The HDD, RAM etc must be ok as it wouldn’t boot into safe mode? Maybe the motherboard is the issue? No error messages pop up at all. I’m completely out of things to try & have searched high & low for some info (including Toshiba’s support) but am hoping that someone could help me on this site. Thanks in advance.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Does Device manager throw up any problems.

Maybe check event viewer to see if that tell you what the problem is.

Time and date correct in the Bios and computer or is it loosing time.

Like this post
spiderlegz

Likes # 0

The only issue in device manager is the network controller but can't install the driver in safe mode. Time & date is correct & staying constant. Can't see any significant errors in the event viewer.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

There must be a way to start it in normal mode if you can start it in safe mode.

How about going into msconfig in safe mode and click on diagnostic start up apply and reboot trying it that way.

I know there is a way to start it using msconfig but not at all sure it is the way I described.Maybe best waiting for someone else to advice on the best method.

On 2nd thought maybe best forgetting that in case it does not start again in any mode.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Have you tried using the Recovery Partition instead of XP disc?

(F8, repair etc?)

My thinking being the original drivers would have worked, but maybe later ones have issues.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

screen freezes on the XP logo when booting - often a driver problem

installed all the hardware drivers with the latest versions but it still freezes on normal boot - maybe not this time

HAve you thought about doing a repair install?

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Like this post
spiderlegz

Likes # 0

Ok, repaired XP as instructed but the freezing issue still remains. No longer able to get it into safe mode, so unable to access msconfig diagnostics. The HDD is a new one & has no partition containing drivers etc.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

OK I would next try remove and refit of memory modules and a general clean out of dust etc. by using a vacuum to suck away the dirt from the grills.

New HDD what's it like with the old drive in?

Like this post
spiderlegz

Likes # 0

Yes removed keyboard, Ram, rear covers & cleaned everything out, including the fan, with an air duster yesterday. Same freezing issue occurs with the other HDD. Also checked HDD for corrupt sectors using another system.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Download memtest iso and burn to a CD and run memtest to eliminate memory problems.

Like this post
spiderlegz

Likes # 0

No errors found using memtest. I have also tried two other Ram modules & another HDD but to no avail. Am able to get into safe mode once again as I formatted & reinstalled XP (which froze on a pale blue screen at the end of installation)

Thanks for your help Fruit Bat, much appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...