We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't get in to Outlook Express

alba6

Likes # 0

When I try to read email in Outlook Express it has started to pop up a box asking for my name & password. The account name (email address) and dots for the password are already there. I tried re-entering the password etc but the box just keeps coming up again. I have checked that the password in the Account is still there and correct. I use XP. I downloaded an updated version of Avast antivirus on Thursday so I did a System Restore to before that but it didn't cure it. The first time it happened (Friday?) I did a shut down and start up and that cleared it but it has come back today. Any suggestions?

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Hi

This is a known issue with Outlook Express but no definite solutions have appeared except install Livemail - which is an updated version of Outlook Express. Livemail comes as part of Live essentials and when installing you get the option to install photo gallery, silverlight, messenger etc - just untick all the boxes except Mail.

The installation process will import you settings, contacts, e-mails etc.

Alternative e-mail clients include Incredimail - a bit fun based or Mozilla Thunderbird.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Check that you can access your e-mail through webmail (ISP's or domain name internet page). This problem can be caused by problems at the server end and not on your system.

Like this post
alba6

Likes # 0

I can access my email via Google OK.

Like this post
alba6

Likes # 0

I have resolved my problem, thanks guys. I restored the system to the last restore point then ran Ashampoo Winoptimizer cleanup and the problem has disappeared.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...