We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help. need more than 4 ports.

stuxxx7

Likes # 0

I have very little knowledge on this kind of thing so i will try to explain best i can. I get my broadband from Virgin Media, so i have a D-Link wireless router and its connected to a modem (i think), firstly all devices that connect to this are wireless... am i right in thinking i can only have 4 devices connected at any 1 time? if so how can have have more devices linked at the same time? atm we have 4 laptops 1 desktop pc and 1 ps3 although all arnt online at the same time... but my little brother is going to be getting a ps3 at xmas.

realisticly at any one time after xmas we will proberly have a max of 2 laptops 1 desktop pc and 2 ps3's online at once, if its possible. any help will be great, thanks

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

There is no limit to the number of wireless devices that can be connected. Hard wired devices are limited by the number (usually 4) ports on the router.

Like this post
stuxxx7

Likes # 0

Great, thanks for the quick response so even with 2 PS3's gaming at the same time it will be able to handle it?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Bear in mind that, whereas devices connected by ethernet cable will each have the full 100Mbps bandwith (1000Mbps with Gigabit), wireless connections share the available bandwidth. The more devices you connect the slower their data transfer will become.

"There is no limit to the number of wireless devices that can be connected."

Some routers do impose a restriction on the number of simultaneous wireless connections, otherwise the "theoretical" maximum is the number of available IP addresses in the Subnet.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

mgmcc

thanks for the clarification - I was aware that the wireless devices shared the bandwidth, but not that there may be limitations on the numbers that can connect at once.

Simultaneous wireless gaming will certainly suffer because of the sharing.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

You can buy a relatively low cost " 5 port ethernet switch " google the text within the " ", connect this to one of the 4 ports on your existing router to expand your available port count by another 4

Cheers HC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad