We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP Laptop Hard drive fine but will not switch on

pippybuchanan

Likes # 0

My HP laptop dates back to around 2004. It is loaded with windows office professional (XP I think) I have upgraded the hard drive recently with two new drives so it has 160 gig of memory. It works fine when I can get it to switch on, but more often than not it will not fire up. I have spent money on trying to have it fixed but it is no better.

I am thinking of taking out the hard drives and getting them set up in an external hard drive so I can use them via USB as additional memory and ditching the old HP. If I do this, how will I know what type of hard drive holder to purchase and what do I search for on line? Also how do I go about getting the hard drives out of the machine?

Will these hard drives then be compatible with a small Samsung N130 netbook we have? Once I get this far I will have more questions.

Thanks!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Model No.?

2004 2005 was just when the drives started to change from IDE to SATA drives but you an get cases that will accommodate either see and will plug into the USB port on the samsung

Like this post
pippybuchanan

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat

Thanks for yr reply. Model No is HP Compaq nx5000 Service Tag is Cnx5000UP150X540WCI51P AUST. I wish I could get it to work as is a great machine. It starts up then turns off before full startup is complete. Any ideas about what sort of fault this is?

Failing that will take out the hard drives which were put in new in around 2007. One is still almost empty, the other barely used.

Are there any other parts which are usable to your knowledge? ie DVD Rom, screen etc?

Thanks again..

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

If the fan is sticking, clogged or has failed this could cause overheating and shutdown.

You could vacuum and/or blow out the vents. Or disassemble for full examination and clean.

HP Instructions and video

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Agree with robinofloxley also worth renewing the CMOS battery

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch live: Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 at IFA

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September