We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Video footage to external hdd

catpwss
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,I have a desktop pc with two 500gb hdd,And the question is that I have a lot of gb of home movies stored as you all know that can take up a lot of gb space. Now my plan is to move all my video files to the other hdd,thats not a problem.The only thing is how will I be able to access them,Will I be able to access them as I do now left click on the orb and select video folder and all my video folders are there,but moving them to another hdd how is the best way to access them would be possible to use the original method 'orb then video folder'What is the way around this please. Running windows 7 premium. Thanks.c.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

I have my videos and photos on an external HDD, connected by USB2, and so far as my PC is concerned it's just another drive letter. I think that video editing is sometimes a bit slow because the USB connection speed is slower than it would be if the driver were installed directly in the PC, but it's not so much that it causes any problems with the software. Also, the external drive goes to sleep if it hasn't been accessed for a while, so sometimes I have to wait a few seconds for it to wake up.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Thanks for reply,But how do you access the hdd,Do you have an icon on the desktop or do you have it in your video folder?. Thanks.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

The simpliest way would be to create a shortcut on the desktop, Right click on desktop and select NEW, the shortcut.

Use the Browse option to finf the drive / folder where you have the video's stored and select. On the next step give the shortcut a name and you are done.

If you have your video' stored in the documents folder, you can also move the whole documents folder by going to documents (desktop), right click and select properties, the selecting where you want the documents to be stored in future- This is also useful in another way as when (and they all do at one time or another)you hard drive crashes, all your douments are safe on another drive.

Terry

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

NO!

Moving Your Documents to point at an ext drive just means they would be stored in a single place there.

For irreplaceable movies (or any file) you should keep copies in two places, at least. (3 is best)

All drives WILL fail, it's just a question of when.

Archive to high quality DVD is another option. But that is time consuming and lifetime of DVDs is not yet fully known either.

Photos and Cine Film may happily sit in boxes for decades. It's too early to say what our digital legacy will be on the same timeframe.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Thanks all All sorted now thanks to this forum once again.

Like this post  
stlucia2

Likes # 0

"... Photos and Cine Film may happily sit in boxes for decades. It's too early to say what our digital legacy will be on the same timeframe ..." Good point, I've had several home-burned CDs become unreadable with time, so seems to me that keeping data on multiple HDDs has got to be the safest option.

A while back I digitised a load of 35mm slides and 8mm movies going back to the early '60s. Though kept in tin boxes indoors, some of the older slides had deteriorated, with what looked like patches of mould on them. Whatever the storage medium, you can't guarantee your data will be 100% safe.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination