We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recovery disc for a new replaced hard drive

dugit
Resolved

Likes # 0

1.I have a Medion p4101D and have replaced my faulty hard drive with a direct Western Digital replacement. 2. I have run the Recovery Disc (Medion AG) and have Windows 7 Home premium OK. 3.I also have an Application & Support-Disc which has the following folders on it: Boot, Drivers, PE , Tools,

I have no information in my medion instruction manual on how to use either of the discs provided by them!! My question is should any of these folders be copied to my hard drive?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

The Application Support Disk allows you to:-

1. rebuild start file
  2. rebuild system and driver files
  3. return to shipping status (puts it back to how it was when you got it including all the preinstalled software you probably never use much of)

However to do his I think you should have two more partitions on the drive "Tools and Recovery"

Best option is what you have already done in installing W7 - then set up your broad band and e-mail add all you security programs and what ever programs you generally use.

When the machine is as you want it then use the backup facility in W7 to make an image onto DVDs or an external drive so you can get back to that if you need it.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Old post on same.

I think it says that the 2nd disc contains the specific drivers for your machine and some Tools.

Windows 7 will install generic drivers (which are mostly OK)

Like this post
dugit

Likes # 0

I note what you have said. Have now downloaded all my security/programs etc I require ok but when I just tried spider solitaire it came up with hardware accelerator is either disabled or not supported by your video card driver which could slow game performance..Make sure you have latest video card driver installed and that hardware acceleration is turned on?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You do not need the drivers on the hard disk as you have them on CD

update driver in control panel and let it search the net for newer ones / install the driver from the CD / download latest drivers from the manufacturers website.

Like this post
dugit

Likes # 0

My apologies as I have just downloaded 99 critical windows 7 updates and everything seems OK now. Thank you for the replies Dugit

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

What's new in VR: the companies creating exciting new mixes of augmented and virtual reality

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...