We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hotmail and cookies

John Ross

Likes # 0

am trying to reduce the number of tracking cookies that are appearing on my PC. I use Firefox 3.6.17. I have blocked all the ones that I have guessed are intrusive 9there are lods being added!). Clearly I have not got it right for Hotmail, as although I thought I had allowed the necessary ones I get the message :

" * This site may be experiencing a problem * The site may not be a member of the Windows Live Network You can: * You can sign in or sign up at other sites on the Windows Live Network, or try again later at this site."

when I try to log in.

Can you tell me which cookies I need to unblock to get it working ?

What is the best (free?) programme to use to block and remove unwanted cookies ?

Thank you!

Like this post
John Ross

Likes # 0

Any thoughts?

I am surprised how few of us seem concenred about the truly astonishing numbers of cookies that are fired off by even supposedly bone fide mainstream sites when I switch on monitoring, many/most of which are for undisclosed commercial purpose, and remain active even when one moves on from the website. On the opther hand, when one blocks cookies then loads of sites will no longer work. Is there a way of blocking these tracking cookies whilst just allowing those that are required for the site to function?

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

I don't use Hotmail that much so cannot comment on what cookies you need to keep/block,but i do use a program called cookiewall to block cookies,atm i have 673 cookies that i kill(delete automatically) when they arrive and out of these i have 20221 kills,that is how many times these 673 cookies have tried to get back on my system and been blocked/deleted as they arrive.

I also have my settings to allow session cookies and block 3rd party cookies under Internet options.Seems to work well for me.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Using Firefox 3? It is up to Firefox 8 now. You may want to update Firefox.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...