We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help not required - inside a Telephone Exchange pictures

Graham*

Likes # 0

For those who have never been in one, some interesting pictures of a Telephone Exchange

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

The traditional distinctive buildings we see everywhere are very much changed inside.

I visited one a few years ago, on telecom related business. In spite of my knowledge, I was shocked to find the building almost completely empty, apart from the digital gear and the MDF.

All the Strowger switches gone of course.

I have just had a Google for what I could have seen. Didn't really find what I was looking for but found an interesting history of Redhill/Reigate.

It's a bit long. Scroll down and look at the piccies if you have a short attention span.

Redhill/Reigate

Strowger History

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What - no clunking and whirring?

Just the blinking LEDS and hum of cooling fans.

Think I preferred technology I could look at and understand

Must be turning into a Luddite in my old age

;0)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Spent the first 8 yrs of my working life as a GPO engineer. 3 yrs of training in those days. I'm told that's down to 6 mths (but I stand to be corrected). Hated cleaning the Strowger switches (took about an hour for each one). Last few yrs in a repeater Station were much more straightforward.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

I was Clerk of Works in Exchanges for many years. The Strowger system couldn't really cope with the demand for new facilities, International Dialling, for instance. The complicated circuitry worked, but one small dirty contact would lock-out a section of the equipment and raise an alarm. Often the cause couldn't be found and the system was simply reset. The noise at busy times was deafening.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

graham.

that 'one small dirty contact' was probably because I was getting bored!

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

That's TO's for you.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Having had some serious problems with my internet connection and later with the telephone itself, I ended up with daily communications with my service provider (TT) and BT exchange and OpenReach engineers.

Apparently components and cables were replaced at the exchange, plus home and outside lines were checked, and 'possible/suspect' faults were corrected. At the end of the day, it was reported "there is a fault, but its a fault that's not easily identifiable. Let us know if you have further problems, and we will again monitor the system". Since then problems have been very few, but it makes me wonder, with monitoring and modern technology, why the actual faults could not be traced, and it ended up like a guessing exercise?.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'That's TO's for you'

Yup, that's what I was. Funny how after 40 yrs since doing the job, met someone in the pub who is a BT engineer. Ah, I said - if I say Blue Orange Green Brown Slate, you'll know what I'm talking about. He was quite surprised.

Why can I remember stuff from that time ago, but not what my wife told me yesterday!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Spuds> One of my colleagues used to be ex-BT.

Although we supplied a lot of equipment to BT we didn't have a thorough picture of how the network acually worked. (we didn't need to for day to day business)

One day we all decided a seminar would be a good idea and roped our colleague into giving it.

Fascinating the amount of problems from the exchange to the customer.

From the ingenuity of cable thieves (a problem throughout the years) and countermeasures against them.

To dog pee and green boxes.

One of the big problems in the Local Loop apparently is on old wiring and water. Electrolysis erodes the copper so it is only 'just' connected.

A customer can have a fault fixed, but several other circuits may then have problems as they are disturbed.

The ex-engineers will know better. I was on the Fibre Optic side of supply.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015