We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iPod wont update podcasts

pellim
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've just copied my iTunes library on to a new PC - running Windows 7. I authorised my PC and synced my iPod as instructed. All seemed fine. I then downloaded some recent BBC podcasts and plugged in my iPod. "Sync complete" etc. Unplugged the iPod and checked it out. All my previous podcasts (and all my music and photos ) are there, but none of the new downloads. I've tried several times, but nothing doing. The iPod is charged up and apparently working fine. Please can anyone help?

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

Have you tried re-subscribing to them

Like this post
pellim

Likes # 0

Thanks mole44. I have re-subscribed to the programs I want. I've also checked that my iPod software is up-to-date, which it is. No good. The iTunes window says it is syncing, and the progress wheel on the iPod turns for eight seconds or so. Then iTunes says syncing is complete - but nothing has been downloaded. I can listen to any music or podcast on either iTunes or iPod, but it's just those recent podcasts I can't access. I'd be grateful for any other suggestions.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Do you use auto synch, or manual (I use manual as I have several Libraries and 4 ipod users, each with their own playlists etc.)In iTunes, Edit / Preferences/ General, is Podcasts checked? In iTunes/Preferences/Devices, I check the box "Prevent iPods etc from synching automatically" In this way when you connect the iPod you can "tell" it which playlists, podcasts etc you want. May be worth a try.

Like this post
pellim

Likes # 0

Thank you, john bunyan. I've tried your suggestion but the situation remains the same, I'm afraid. I have the feeling that along the line I missed a vital step! One thought occurs - my old PC is switched off, but I haven't uninstalled iTunes on it. Could there be any sort of conflict there?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

pellim You are allowed up to 5 PC's per iTunes account. I assume you have "authorised" the new one. If you can't solve it, I have found Apple tech help quite good. Phone your nearest Apple store and ask for the tech helpline. They helped recently with a forced reset on an iPod touch where too many attempts to open it with a forgotten password caused a problem. I phoned on a local line, but the actual helpers could be anywhere.

Like this post
pellim

Likes # 0

Thanks again, john bunyan. Yes, authorisation is all in order. I'll try Apple tech help. I've been battling my way through the online manuals. Hadn't realised I could speak to a human being somewhere. I'll report back.

Like this post
pellim

Likes # 0

Success! I phoned Apple and got to speak to a very helpful techie. Under his instruction I opened iTunes and plugged in my iPod. In the left-hand column there appears "Devices" and my name + iPod underneath, which I clicked on. This brings up a new window with one's name and the iPod serial number. At the top is a grey strip with various headings, one of which is "Podcasts". Click on that and another window opens with a box and message next to it: "Sync podcast". That box must be checked. Below that are choices like "all" or "next 3 podcasts" or whatever. Click Apply and finish. I'd no idea that was there, neither had I realised the excellent help to be had from Apple. Thanks again, john bunyan.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

pellim. Glad you solved it - thanks for the useful feedback.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback