We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this a Worm or Virus?

jimforrest

Likes # 0

I buy a fair amount of stuff online and I have received an email, purportedly from The Royal Mail, saying that a parcel wasn't delivered because my address is on a stop list! It then says all details are on the attachment - a .zip file. Now I don't think I'm on any stop list so that made me wary. I scanned the file with AVG and AdAware and it seems ok. I looked at the contents in Winzip and it contains 7 txt files - all blank, and the following files - sempl.jnt - doc.booc.xlsx - package.information.exe. These look highly suspicious to me so I haven't opened them. Does anyone have an opinion? If they are suspicious is there any way I can find the address that sent the mail (in Outlook Express)? At the moment it just shows Royal Mail with no full email address.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

At any time you're suspicious of an email never open it. If you open it then never open a file (attachment) within it. I'm not familiar with Outlook but you should be able to see the 'header' of the email to see where it originated from. Run your security programs on full scan.

reading headers in Outlook This might help.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Delete it. I would be surprised if the Royal Mail would have your email address. If they needed to contact you for any reason they would have done it via snail mail.

Any unsolicited emails with attachments or links should be treated in the same way.

Always log onto an account via the main web page and not through a link supplied on an email.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

A scam either way

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Not a virus, but definitely a scam. Delete!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Here is Royal Mail page http://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/security/suspicious-emails where you can report it.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

For future reference: To check the sender in OE, right click the message in the message list, click Properties, click Details, Click Message Source.

Like this post
shell20110309

Likes # 0

i do not think it is a virus, just to delete it!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July