We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SSD Drive & Sata drive issues

Wulfrune

Likes # 0

Today I fitted a Crucial M4 256gb SSD drive to my computer.

I would like to say that all went well, but I'm here, so it didn't.

Firstly Acronis True image turned out to be of no use to me, so I ended up putting a fresh copy of Windows 7 on there. I ran the sata cable to the 6gb output port and connected to remain two large capacity drives to the Sata 3gb's. It didn't like that, no matter what I tried, I could not get the ssd drive to run with the 2 "2 TB's drives" in their sata homes on the motherboard. I CAN however, get drives to work via a docking station connected externally. Help anyone please?

Regards

Wulfrune

Like this post
rossgolf

Likes # 0

check your motherboard manual and look for some information on the numbering of the SATA ports. IE, Sata0, Sata1 etc I remember something when i put my SSD in to do with certain numbers supporting certain things.

Worth a shot

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not an expert on this but the C: drive should be connected to the first connector numbered on the mobo. Sometimes numbered as zero and sometimes numbered one. Take a close look at your motherboard's details and make sure the SSD is connected to the right connection regardless of the transfer rate. If you have a sata cable rated as 6GB then that would help. Using an ordinary Sata cable reduces it to 3 GB but I think the motherboard should support Sata 3 for the highest tranfer rate and cable to suit.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

rossgolf

Working out my answer while you posted. I agree.

Like this post
Wulfrune

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, I'll hit the books then.

But, still welcome more comments

Like this post
Wulfrune

Likes # 0

I am happy to tell you all that I sorted the problem out.... It was a "bios" issue.

All is working well, fast and well.

Thanks for the help people

Case closed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks