We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop wont turn on properly

StarStalker

Likes # 0

I am having a problem with my laptop, its been like this for a couple of weeks now. When I turn it on it will freeze and show a black screen, so I hold the off button until it turns off, then try again. It will then go to the option screen of repair or startup as normal, when I go to repair it says there is nothing to repair. It will freeze again, so I start the process again and this can go on for about 10 minutes until it finally comes on properly. I tried a system restore as I repaired some things (cannot remember what they were) in the programmes, and it also has an intermittent runtime error before the user login screen. And then tonight the fan started making an awful noise until I turned it off. I have also run the check disc option but it doesnt fix anything

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What operating system and what laptop? Fan making a noise is trying to cool the CPU or if, like my very old laptop, the 'bearings' are dry. Funnily enough after buying a new laptop the fan noise on the old one stopped. Can't win. Vista?

Like this post
StarStalker

Likes # 0

Its a toshiba satelite, and vista

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

My Compaq fan went 'dry' and was sticking when very new. Warranty was void due to me breaking and replacing the screen previously.

I was able to pull the fan blades off the spindle (only held on by coil magnets) and apply a couple of drops of 3in1 Oil.

My fan was a pig to get at (full disassembly). Toshibas are much easier I believe.

Toshiba Satellite

How to lubricate a fan

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

My suggestion is to backup all your documents, emails, photos etc. and then return the laptop to factory settings. A long job but Vista is finicky and the worst OS Microsoft ever invented in my humble opinion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added