We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Graphics card problems

NotsoNewuser
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have lost the full use of my card as it will not now show video, just get a black screen.It is an ATI A9600XT. No apparent reason for the failure. Have downloaded current drivers, although installation has been a bit difficult with the "can't run 16 bit windows program" popping up. Have also got current Via drivers for M/B. Would this be card failure,a M/B problem, or something else? Running XP(SP3), PC 2004/05. Any suggestions as to how I can resolve this would be appreciated.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Do you have onboard graphics? If so then uninstall your ATI graphics drivers then shut down, not reboot. Remove the card and plug the monitor connection to the onboard VGU connector. Boot up and see if everything works OK.

Like this post
NotsoNewuser

Likes # 0

No on board graphics I'm afraid.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Looks like you need a new card, they can fail slowly or just die.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I agree with rdave13, mine's slowly dying and get some weird stuff happening to display. (have ruled out everything else by testing in another pc) mine seems to be related to overheating but all fans are clean and working.

Can you try your card in a different pc to check it? I would guess you have already done the obvious, checked card connection is tight in slot, and cable from card to monitor.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Switch off PC, remove card, make sure PCI slot and inside of PC case is clean and free from dust fluff etc, especially the card slot (I use a soft domestic paint brush on mine). Refit card making sure of good fit. Then try PC again.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If you can get to SAFE mode, have a look at options for VGA mode and select, This will start your comuter in a very low level graphic mode(I believe it is about 16 colours and 640 * 480).

While in that mode your current graphic drivers and motherboard drivers are NOT loaded. Load the latest drivers for the graphic card and reboot, selecting Normal start up.

This may be enough to reset your graphic card, otherwise you may have to the same again but with the motherboard drivers.

Terry

Like this post
NotsoNewuser

Likes # 0

Thanks to all who made suggestions. I have solved the problem, it was a conflict in the software. After trawling through other sites I uninstalled Quick Time and any other items that involved video, installed Media Player 11, reinstalled all the drivers and got my video back.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks for the feedback. Surprised that it was software related such as Quicktime. Card failure or driver corruption usually. Hope its not short lived.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED