We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'Copy and Paste' 30GB of data from a small HD to a bigger HD?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7

I am aware it's not usual to transfer a large amount such as this, in this manner. However, it would allow me to edit as I go.

My question is: Would it take any more time re-transfering the data, than doing a more conventional way and editing it after?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I think I should add that the bigger HD (1TB) isn't empty and neither is it partitioned. I am somewhat concerned that to do a straight disk to disk copy, might result in lost data on the TB drive. As in the past when I've used Hd to HD transfer software I wasn't given the choice of placement other the intended HD. It seemed to assume that the new host disk would be empty.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I used a free utility called Teracopy, to transfer about a million files from one hard disk to another.(80GB amount of data).It took about 2 hours.

Using Windows XP only, (for the same operation) - took about 1 day.

I haven't used Windows 7....yet.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Does 'Teracopy' allow you to specify a folder to transfer to. Or do you just press a button and say a prayer?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

You use it at your own risk. I am sorry I can't be more helpful.

Teracopy was recommended a few months ago, by another forum member.

I always keep my fingers crossed :o]

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

SuperCopier is supposedly better/faster than Windows Copy. And can optionally (?) replace Windows Copy.

I installed it a while ago and it works fine (W7 64). You can throttle transfers so you can carry on working.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

First off I have to thank AitchBEE (He beat you by a whisker robinofloxley) I downloaded, installed and it worked 'almost' like a charm. I say almost, because it skipped '30 Files', as yet I don't know why?

So now I come on to your offering robinofloxley as yet I haven't tried 'SuperCopier', but I will dowmload and give it a go. Cheers guy's.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I've just been and had a look and found that it's a beta, I'm not happy installing beta's at the best of times. Even less happy when, up front, they are telling you where to report the bugs when you find them!? I think I'll give this one a miss for the time being.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK