We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

power jack repair

wildatheart

Likes # 0

i took my daughters laptop to be repaired the problem was was the power jack was not charging the only way it would charge is by holding the power jack in the shop agreed with me and said it needed new power jack, repair centre called me 2 days afterwards to say they had changed the power jack but the problem was it would start then stop charging after 15 seconds and they put this down to a mother board failure. when i got home i checked the laptop it charged , fully charged then when you went to turn the laptop on it turned off instantly could the repair shop have damaged it because it a fine when i took it in it just wouldnt charge up and how would i know if they had caused the damage to the mother board?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Remove battery and try booting the machine from mains only

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

And then take it back and complain!

Like this post
wildatheart

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruitbat, tried that but still no good so guess I will try Onthelimit suggestion. Thought I might have to do this but it is how to prove they messed up the board which is now my issue. They have offered to get the data off for me......only another £ 55 !!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You can buy a caddy to put the drive in and get the data off for less than a tenner.

Tell them to stop trying to take the .....

the machine power up ok when given to them so its up to them to repair it

Test your power supply. Just because your computer came on for a few moments doesn't mean that the power supply unit for your computer is working properly. The power supply tends to cause more problems than any other piece of hardware and is very often the cause of a computer turning off by itself.

Its possible they have not connected / damaged the power supply board during the soldering of the new jack.

there may be an internal short causing the problem.

fan may be disconnected so machine shuts down due to overheat

Like this post
wildatheart

Likes # 0

thanks fruitbat im off to see them now, i'll let you know how i get on

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

The problem may well have been with the motherboard.The fitting tends to work loose on laptops especially when the power cord is stretched when using.

If not repaired properly they should not have charged you for a repair.But may say it is a standard charge.

The part that goes on to the motherboard can sometimes be resoldered so not sure whether that is what they tried or not.

But motherboard fault looks like the main cause and not sure if you can blame the repair that was carried out or not.

I am afraid young ones have no knowledge of how to treat a laptop properly and this ends up as a common fault with Laptops.They just tend to stretch the power cord when they have it sitting on there knee or wherever which in turn affects the motherboard.

No matter how many times you tell them not to do it they don't listen.Had to scrap a few good laptops belonging to my GrandDaughters because of this.

Like this post
wildatheart

Likes # 0

cheers buteman but my issue is that the laptop worked fine before i took it for the repair it was only a loose jack so surely the mother board damage must of happened during the repair. but your probably right i cant prove it and may have to scrap it.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Was the repairer part of a national chain (i.e. PC World, Maplin etc) or a local shop, If part of a national chain, go back to the shop and ask for a detailed repair sheet, and the person who repaired it. Inform them that you are going to contact head office as you are not satisfied with the repair.

They may offer to re-repair it as a 'Goodwill' gesture (and to prevent aggro from head office.)

The key to getting a satisfactory solution is to be POLITE but firm, if you become abusive they will dig their heels in and you may be ejected from the shop.

If it is a local shop, all I can advise is not to give them any more custom.

Terry

Like this post
wildatheart

Likes # 0

hi terry, yes it was a local shop and i went today to calmly but firmly explain my position regarding the laptop but the shop was shut which was pretty frustrating so i will have to wait until monday. thanks for the advice,

wildatheart.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Yes they could of damaged the mother board because the jack is soldered directly to the motherboard.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features