We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Screen resolution

vassos

Likes # 0

I have an odd glitch which has suddenly appeared. All text is blurred. Looks like there is a secondary shadow of each letter or digit offset to the right. It makes reading anything very headache making. I tried everything but with no success. I then had the PC tech., log in remotely. He has tweaked and reset and to him it looks fine. Here however, it is just the same. The resolution is set perfectly for my monitor. Any ideas please?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Make, model and operating system ?

Is all text like this ? System tray, clock etc. If you right click the desktop etc is the menu blurred ? If so it perhaps suggests a driver or screen issue.

What about when you first do a cold start and any splash screens/bios messages etc messages appear. Are they blurred as these load before anything Windows/driver related ?

What's it like if you boot into safe mode ?

Have you tried a system restore back to when it was OK ?

Without actually seeing something like this it's a bit difficult to say for sure.

Like this post
vassos

Likes # 0

The system restore did nothing. All text is blurred including system tray etc. I have not paid attention to the text on cold start. I usually walk away once I press the button. The monitor is an HP w19ev. Using XP. Have not tried safe mode.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Is it possible to try the monitor on another PC ?

From your description it does sound as though the monitor may have a problem. Is the problem much worse than just "cleartype" settings and so on,

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx

I would still try safe mode as that loads a generic driver rather than a specific one.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like mooly says try it in safe mode and if it works Ok on there it could be the graphics driver needing updated.

Like this post
vassos

Likes # 0

Tried everything that has been suggested but it made no difference. I finally resorted to crawling under the back of my desk and found the monitor lead was in the wrong hole. Sorry guys and thanks for your support. It is perfect now.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Thanks for the update... pleased you got it sorted.

Like this post
vassos

Likes # 0

The tower had been away in the workshop for a day to have a new cooling fan fitted and a clean up. I got the plug in wrong - hand up.

Like this post
vassos

Likes # 0

Having said all that, I find that on switching on my PC this morning, the problem has returned and the double image is back. Seems there is a more serious issue. Either the graphics card or possibly the monitor itself.

Like this post
feb

Likes # 0

Have you tried using windows XP Cleartype? http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearType/tuner/Step1.aspx

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

On the chance that it may be the monitor try reducing the resolution of the screen by the following method.

Right click on desktop Select Properties Select settings Reduce by one notch.

You could also try reloading your graphic card drivers.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room